Time to cry

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
OK even though the old boat hasn't been in the water since Tom and Jim left in Sept, it's official time to put her up and off to the shop for some work. This bites! I was looking at pictures of May this weekend. Who's idea was winter anyways? Hey Neeley, we had snow flurries here weeks ago, even had 6" in the hills. Then to top it all off, guess I'll have to dust off the old ice fishing gear. That's it, I'm moving south! SC here I come!!!

Rob

Yeah Rob I took baby down to the dealer to get her winterized and get some cosmetic damage looked at tie to break out the fly rod for fall trout fishing and the old bottom rod for sea bass and blackfish counting he days til april I'm headed down to Kerr again for a few days

I know what you mean Rob. I put mine up this weekend. Went through the whole winterizing ritual. I hadn't had mine out since August. Ouch!!! I kept looking at it thinking, damn that's a nice boat, too bad I have to put her away until spring. Oh well, such is the northern way of life.

Mike

C'mon guys! I know I'm a few miles south of you but in CT the die hard anglers don't winterize till about the week before the ice comes on. I won't winterize until December anyhow. Theres just too many fat hungry bass waiting for my bait out there.

Was out yesterday with 48 degrees air temp, 15 mph North wind and a water temp of 49. When I got the 6.27 pounder in the boat, I was feeling plenty warm. That's my second 6 pounder in three weeks and it just gets better in November!

John,

You fishing lakes or rivers? What type of presentation are you using?

Rich D

Rich, I'm fishing natuaral lakes. Have always been big on the jig & pig and still am, but, over the last two years I'm favoring the 6" Zoom Brush Hawg more and more. Green pumpkin and watermelon/red flake are getting the job done. That bait has won me a ton of money in tournaments this year. Texas rigging it on a 4/0 Gammie EWG and either pegging a 3/8 or 1/2 oz weight or using the Florida Rig screw in weight. The retrieve has been slow, deadsticking at times, others just a little shaking. I really like flipping/pitching to the weeds but, this rig is comfortable working 25 foot deep structure also.Give it a try, you'll be glad you did.

That's all good and well Jon, but lets review! Lake Champlain is the 6th largest in the country so it doesn't freeze until early Jan due to the shear size, by that time the temps have been below 0 for some time. If you venture out in Nov, you can get on the water, but when you pull that ole girl out and trailer her home in the 20 degree weather, that little bit of water left in your lower unit, blows the gears all to pieces! So I digress, catch one for us and the jig is definately the way to go! If your looking for somebody to help you haul those hogs out though, give me a shout!

Rob

Latest posts

Back