Time for Stabil to reach motor

• Thread starter Ed Haugh [URL]https://picasaweb.google.com/1109922
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Haugh

Reaction score
It's about time to winterize the boat. Can someone advise how long I have to let the motor idle to ensure Stabil reaches the carbs? This is an 1999 150HP XR6 that will be idling in the driveway with muffs. See link for serial number, etc. I'm thinking AT LEAST 30 minutes to work fuel through the fuel lines and in-line fuel filter / water separator.

A buddy of mine advised he disconnected the fuel lines from the motor and ran it dry. Not a good idea, right. :unsure:

Thank you.

Updated link.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110992...hkey=Gv1sRgCIvlhM_30IfsMA#5656459111130757890

On your motor, 10 minutes will suffice. Opti's and 4-strokes do take longer, to the tune of at least 20 minutes. In my shop, I actually have my techs disconnect the fuel line from the motor, take the fitting off, put the end back into the fuel tank, and prime it until the treated fuel is distributed throughout the fuel line. Hook it back up and treated fuel is immediately available to the motor. Still.....the newer engines require at least 10 minutes using this method.

As far as draining the carbs, we leave them full. I have done tests with freshly drained carbs and let them "air dry". Depending on how "fresh" the fuel is / was, there is a powdery precipitate that is left on the bottom of the carb. Since the ethanol is such a good cleaner, it also washes away the fine lube film that you get with treated fuel. I use this analogy with my customers.....think of an iron rod placed in salt water. It will remain "rust free" longer than if you took it out and exposed it to the air. Same with the fuel systems. Full, treated, good.......your injectors and pumps will like you. ;)

Thanks Bob. I like the 'prime the fuel line' technique. I may try that.

If it matters, I updated the link above. I know you like to see serial numbers. :)

Latest posts

Back