Time for fishing down in South Louisiana!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirForce

Reaction score
Man I am stoked. After being cleared of cancer (still something in my jaw area they'll look next month) and done with most of the testing, I decided it was time to restock the freezer with some fish. Keying on trout since I'm out of that, still got some redfish and cobia but hasn't been warm enough to grill em. Just installed a new MK Riptide with i-Pilot that replaced my MK PowerDrive v2 with i-Pilot (now going on the pontoon boat) so wanting to give that a workout (especially anchor lock). Also installed the Power-Pole little while back just so I don't have to throw that cajun anchor again unless I want to anchor it to keep it spinning around.

Oh yeah, I'm ready baby, let hook some keepers. Got my GoPro batteries charged up so hopefully have a few fishing videos. Got friends coming down Fri/Sat, he has a camp down there and a 30ft boat with twin 250hp so hoping to get out to the rigs for the bigger fish.

Got my handicap rails powdercoated to a gray (Starburst) that almost matches the gray of my Tracker. Got a new 25 watt VHF radio on board now since I've learned my portable 5 watt VHF doesn't get out far enough to reach anyone when you're in the boonies with no one around for miles. Tomorrow is a travel day so fishing don't start till Tues. Forecast has a couple of days of high 70's which will be nice as here its gonna get down into the 30's again.

AirForce,
Mmmm grilled fresh speckled trout…
You do know that the key to someone hearing you on the VHF is antennae height, right? Hope you have a long antennae connected to that 25-watt VHF.

The lakes are back at normal level, crappies are on the run and so are the eye's and stripers.

cq

AirForce,
Mmmm grilled fresh speckled trout…
You do know that the key to someone hearing you on the VHF is antennae height, right? Hope you have a long antennae connected to that 25-watt VHF.

Yes sir, as high as I could get it on the console handicap rail so with it and the rail, about 6ft high is all but should be good enough. (I hope)

Long drive, didn't sleep good either so had to stop in Meridian MS for 1.5hr lay over for a nap and "other" business. Finally arrived around 5, had to go out to eat for 3lbs of boiled crawfish, some sausage, corn, potato and a big bowl of gumbo. Had to get my affairs in order so I could fish right the rest of the week :D. Good thing I had already shopped for a few groceries as that's pretty much what I'll be eating the rest of the week (on the cheap). This handicap room at the Galliano Inn in Galliano is GREAT. Nice fridge, microwave, wireless internet, King bed and walk in shower all for $500 from Monday-Sunday (military discount). Sure was disappointed though in the size of the crawfish though, mighty small, 3/4th of them I would have used for bait instead of trying to feed hungry person like me with baby finger food :mad: But hell, it had been Oct since I had my cajun fixin's and I was DESPERATE o_O

I was wore out didn't get to sleep till midnight and didn't wake up till 8:30. So decided to get the tackle sorted and gear rigged and realized I needed a little more specific terminal gear. By the time I ate lunch and did all that, wind had really picked up so decided to just finish getting everything ready and prep the boat. But all that wasted time was GOOD in the long run.

I stopped at the Geaux Pass station in Golden Meadow LA to buy passes so I wouldn't have to stop at the toll booth going across the bridge to Port Fourchon. BEST decision I ever made. She saw I was wearing my vet hat and asked if I was a disabled veteran. Kinda caught me by surprise and I said yes. She asked for proof and I showed her my military ID which shows I'm 100% disabled and gave her my drivers ID and vehicle tag #. LIFETIME FREE PASS even though I'm an out of state resident. Hot Dang - more more 3 to 4.50 crossing the bridge and I ain't gotta stop to dig the money out whooohooo.

Big Storm coming Wed evening thru Friday so looks like I may have to extend my days here if I want to get my fishing in. It'll be clearing Sat/Sun/Mon but colder but I was prepared for colder anyways. Wife said it was snowing at home this morning while I was standing on the deck here in short sleeve shirt, just kinda cool but not real cold. (high 50's probably)

Man, these past few days down here has just been rough. I was gonna stay here until Tues as the weather has been bad or winds been howling. Only caught one rat red the whole time, fish ain't biting where I've been (and that's been all over). Guess I should have waited another month before coming down. After checking weather, its not letting up much. Yesterday it was pretty and nice UNTIL lunch time, then winds picked up and rains moved in around 3. By 5pm it felt like gale force winds and I had to cross the chops getting back to the launch. Even bigger boats were reporting it was really rough by the jetties with 5-7 feet, said waves were breaking over the jetties. Glad I didn't go there in my little 17ft bass boat and these guys were in 25-32ft bay boats - at least one of the capts on that boat (friend of mine) said they did catch one big bull red before they gave it up.

So I'm going home tomorrow licking my wounds and my pride damaged :( but I'm gonna stock up on the shrimp and cajun seasonings I can't get at home as well as the New Orleans style red kidneys beans they no longer sell in my area (Van Camps). Usually have to get my sister-in-law to get it for us down in MS.

Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate. The crawfish are small all over due to the very cold weather we had in February. We had snow, sleet and night time temps in the single digits. Them crawfish don't like that and they stay in their holes not eating. We are just starting to get some nice sized crawfish here around Lafayette but the prices are high. Hopefully later this Spring when it stays warm the will get bigger. Also it's Lent and the Catholics like to eat seafood making the crawfish scarce. Have a safe trip back!
Barry from La.

Latest posts

Back