tilt trim switch

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassfisher

Reaction score
Hello I am a new owner of a 1990 185TF Nitro with a Mercury XR4 150 HP , while I was looking at buying it seller told me that switch in handle works off and on, the bow and motor switch works okay raises and lowers motor. For the cost factor since I don't know if you can get the switches still that goes in handle? The aftermarket ones that you mount on your wheel like turn signal or push button style is it just easier to go that way? If I had to take to shop how long of time thing is it to replace?

I haven't own a boat for over 15 years so just this is new to me.
Thanks

Bassfisher,
I would go with the turn signal type switch then replacing the switch at the control handle. This way you keep both hands on the wheel.

Congrats on the new addition to the family!. If it is a switch contact issue, I have been successful with spraying in and around various switches, after removing the power source, and then moving the switch. Be careful not to get the cleaner on certain rubbers and plastics, as some maybe sensitive to the cleaner. If it is not the contacts, then it is probably a wire or connector. Intermittent problems are the worst to diagnose. BTW it is rare to not be able to find a suitable switch replacement. I've retrofit a lot of old tube radios and the likes...even was able to find some multi-deck tuner switches. The tear down of the cable throttles can be tricky, so take lots of photos if you start tearing into it. If you're not comfortable with such thing might insist the help of a qualified tech. Best of luck and welcome!

Thanks for the help, the other switches work just the handle, I was looking at turn lever style , I talked to mechanic said was fairly easy to do, but I am not comfortable with wiring and was told it wouldn't cost a lot to replace. So I let someone who knows what they are doing do it.
I have some questions about the boat in general will ask when I get chance too.
Meantime is there a source to get to a owners manual for this boat? Thanks

Latest posts

Back