Tilt / Trim Problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my boat back from the mechanic Sat. Had the engine rebuilt, water pump replaced, and tilt/trim motor replaced.

The engine is a 1992 Mercury 150 XR6.

Got the boat out for an hour to start working on the break in saturday afternoon. The boat ran great and got on plane and ran nice. The engine trimmed / tilted up and down with no problems.

Today (Sunday), the wife and I went out to work a couple more of the hours off the break-in. Got her out there on the water and could not get her to get on plane. Everytime I went to throttle to get up on pad....the engine would drop down while I was trying to trim her up. Once I got out of the throttle she would trim up but not while I was giving her gas to get up on pad.

While idle or barely any throttle she would tilt/trim up and down no problems. But under throttle to get her on plane she would go all the way down.

I call the mechanic and he said it sounded like air...so he had me tilt the engine up (after I got her trailered and out of the water) and then loosen the purge screw on the side of the trim/tilt motor till the engine started coming down. Then I tightened her up and then worked her up and down about ten time. He said the air needed to be worked out.

Back in the water....same thing still happening. I pulled the boat back out and went home. After checking sites for info and advice I saw to check fluid level. I took the screw out and no fluid coming out. Went and got some QuickSilver Trim/Tilt fluid and filled her up and then re-installed the plug. Worked the trim/tilt up and down about twenty times.

Went back down the road and put the boat in the water. Same thing.....the engine will tilt up and down with no problems while on the trailer, in the water idling or very little throttle. But as soon as I give her any significant amount of throttle she will not trim/tilt up. And if I start with her trimmed up alittle as soon as throttle is applied she will drop all the way down.

What am I missing? The mechanic is 1.5 to 2 hours away. Not wanting to make that drive if I can fix it easily myself. Not sure if it's something I can fix myself.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

William

You still need to bleed the system. There is probably still air in the system after you added more fluid. Re-do the bleed step your mechanic told you about.

I tried looking online and most info I read says the pump is self bleeding but the rams are not. Try bleeding the rams....tilt up, fill up, replace cap cycle down then up. Repeat.

Latest posts

Back