Ticker finally turns south...dang!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well, just had my next bi-annual stress test and the ole ticker has once again enlarged. It's now at 65 mm. To give you an idea, the average man's heart is around 50 mm. Mine went from 61 to 63, and now 65. The leak is worsening too. The doc kind of eased me into it asking, "So if there WAS a most opportune time to schedule your surgery around fishing....when would that be?" LOL I snapped back, "JANUARY!" If I had it done now, I'd miss the first month of season, AIN'T NO WAY given this durn fever! So he figure by next year, I'll be dangerously near 70 mm and ready to start the process of becoming a 6 million dollar man! LOL Too much info in one week, I'm going into sensory overload. New job, heart is weakening, boat might be sold. Gee if the Everstarts call and say I'm in all 3 tourneys I'll have to go get fall down drunk and relax for a week! LOL

And for anyone with heart trouble, Omega 3 oil from Ocean Essentials is the best thing going....hands down. I cannot emphasize it enough. It has kept me off the table this long. The doc couldn't believe the results. Your heart actually excretes the omega 3 oil when having an attack and Americans don't get anywhere near their daily allowance as it comes from fish. It's also great for nursing or pregnant mothers. It heightens visual accuity and brain development in infants and unborn children. Great stuff. Anyway, it's worth it, and it works. No gimmick.

Yeah..... But will it take the Mississippi River scum offa the side of my boat?

Hey, Rob..... Heart problems ain't all that bad..... Our fears are much worse than reality..... I know I wonder each night if I'll wake in the morning..... You and I have talked about this before..... The doctors can do some amazing things these days..... Heck..... Here I am..... 12 years after a quintuple bypass..... I'm alive and, although I do tire more easily than I did 20 years ago - what can you expect out of someone who is 53 and has been a diabetic since age 10.....

We all have stuff we gotta live with..... I guess we should both be happy it isn't something worse - like something that requires a colonoscopy!

me!

While we're on the subject.....

Barry "Da Bear", you still around?

take care of yourself rob. make sure there are no limitations on the benefits package for the med ins. on the new job. sometimes they make you wait a certain period. get that taken care of when you can plan for it, not when it plans it for you.

jd

Probably caused by all that snow dancin exertion! Take it easy buddy!

Rich D

Hey Rob, maybe you should get that taken care of now rather than later. How about doing it on the old company's nickel and then recuperate on your old sick leave... Then, start the new job... I am sure if they want you they will wait.

Don't mess around Rob. Get it taken care of. They have yet to come up with a cause of death on my mother but they are 80% sure it was an enlarged heart causing arithmia. It was explained to me thet when the heart enlarges it stresses the connections that the brain uses to tell it to beat. When theses connections get stretched too far, the heart just stops and there's no gettin it started again and you can't do a transplant. Let me say it a little louder D o n't m e s s a r o u n d Rob. Get it taken care of. You're givin me chills.

TOXIC

Rob - I'm with TOX on this, you only live once and that purdy wife and kids do not want to grow up alone! A tourney is NOT what life is all about if you don't HAVE a life!!!

So, are they talking by-pass? Valve replacement??

We know you're the Energizer bunny - Takes a licking and Keeps on Ticking!!

MY opinion only so I hope not to offend anyone here.

Rob it is better to miss part,most or all of 1 season fishing than to miss watching your children grow up, miss out on growing old with your wife. Miss one season NOW or miss all the seasons later.

BF

Hey Rob...

If its a choice between now and missing some tourneys... That's not a real choice... There needs to be a next year for this year to count... I'll have Craig order up the parts and we'll have Bob Bourget do the work... We'll get your pump fixed by the best guys we know!!!

Rob.....Most important of all is your health!!! Take care of it ASAP to ensure many healthy fishing seasons for you and your family!......Mike L.

Rob, of course you have to do what YOU think best, all I'll say on this is I lost a friend a few years back, he was 38 yrs old,(my age also at the time) came home from work, said he felt tired, wanted to take a nap, laid down on couch, his wife came to wake him about an hour later for dinner, and , well, I think we can figure out the rest....... I don't remember all the details of cause, but I DO remember being told about an enlarged heart. He left a wife and two beautiful young daughters. In his case, he didn't KNOW there was a problem, and only when it was TOO LATE did the problem with his heart become known . I'm sorry to bring up something depressing like this, and as I said, what you and your family decide is up to you, and you have my prayers and support no matter what......please don't take this post in any bad way, I post it with good intentions, God Bless, egMike

As far as missing a fishing season goes.....

First, I'm with everyone else here - get it done. Wife and kids are much more important.

Second, you may not miss as much as you think..... When I had the by-pass done, they told me I'd have to stay home for 4 to 6 weeks after "release"..... I was in the hospital for a week then went home..... After 2 days of nothing but Oprah on television, I couldn't stand it any more - I went out to get a haircut..... Next day, only 10 days after the surgery, I was back in the office. Now, admittedly, that first day back I wasn't worth sh## and could only stay a couple of hours before I was exhausted - but I was back and out of the house! It took me about 3 or 4 weeks before I really felt 100% again - and that 100% was much better than I had been in years!

God bless!

me!

Rob,

Forget about fishing and take care of yourself. Missing one or part of one season is better than missing the rest of them! Buzz and I will catch those Champlain smallies and send pics! Trep almost had it right. You can take a licking and keep on TALKING!!! Wouldn't want it any other way.

Bob G.

Guys guys, relax. Believe me, if it needed to be done now I would do it and skip a whole season if need be. The doc said that we need to think about it this year as far as scheduling. He called last night and said I'm fine for now, but we should probably do it in January to be PROactive. January is the soonest I will need it but I just want to get it over with to regain some of my lost energy. Also, I don't want in irrepairable damage like you guys have noted. My heart could go to 75 mm before it got real dangerous, but 70 is time to do the surgery to be safe. I'm at 65 right now. The doc even agrees, why do the surgery before it's neccessary. I will get it done. We are just trying to keep my life as normal as possible up to that point because once I hit the table, my life will never be the same again. I will have to take blood thinner meds the rest of my life and I will literally tick! Once on the blood thinners I have to be extremely careful not to get any serious cuts as I could bleed to death from something that you guys could just go have stitched. Also the months immediately following the surgery will be tough, no lifting more than I think 20 lbs, my chest will literally be in 2 pieces held together with only staples. I know the risk here, a guy my age died from this just a week before I was diagnosed a few years ago. 27 and dead in the shower after just proposing and getting engaged the night before. There's a lesson, DON'T get married! LOL Kidding. Never fear all, I'm hear to rattle your ear off a little longer!

Rob,

With friends like Tox... Who needs enemies... (20lbs...in his dreams...LOL) Alright, but you take care of yourself. If anything happened to you we wouldn't have anybody to kick around.

Rob, don't worry, you'll always have a place in my boat as my " NET BOY "...

By the way, when you have the surgery I'll make sure all the deeds & chores are done at the house, and I emphasize the word ALL.. I mean what are buddies for...

Rob -

I've been taking those blood thinners and vessel dialators for 12 years now. Worst side effect is that you get chilled easily.

And they had to cut my sternum in two as well - got a big zipper to prove it! They wire the thing back together. In x-rays, it looks like I've got bow-ties on my chest! The weight restrictions only keep on for a very short period of time.

Like I said, the fears are by far the worst part of the entire proceedure.....

me!

Buzz, you'd have to do the "chores" twice to accomplish what I did just once! LOL And sure, you can come shovel, change diapers, mow the lawn, reroof the house, change the oil in the vehicles. And as for net boy. With the way you catch fish, I can be your net boy a few hours after the surgery. I mean really, how much does it take to net 1-2 dinks every couple of hours! LOL

I be glad to do it twice to your once. As long as I'm in there somewhere.LOL...

Hey Rob

At least you have a heart. My eighteen year old daughter believes I don't have one at all after I told her and her boyfriend I didn't want them laying under a blanket watching tv together. (Keep your hands where I can see them BUDDY! I have a lot of guns a shovel and know places where I can bury a body where no one will find it). LOL. I can sympathize with you somewhat altough my heath problems aren't as serious. I was told last week I needed a knee replacement after I blacked out and fell for reasons the docs can't figure out. Keep a close watch on it and take care. As Red Green says "We're all in this together."

fatrap

hey, why not go ahead and get it done? You could always play a bass-fishin game on your computer for a couple of months. You'll catch more that way than all of your fishin' buddies anyhow! :)

Rob, do what feels right. Most importantly, take care of your family and yourself.

Rob-

Take care of yourself. If not, I will have gone through the name change for nothing (Rob to Un-Rob)!

Seriously, heart stuff is nothing to fool around with or put off. As popular as you are here on this board, I think you should do us ALL a favor and take care of yourself.

Sincerely,

Un-Rob

Doc called last night after thoroughly reviewing my test and said that despite the heart enlarging another 2 mm, my aortal (sp?) ventricle has not changed at all, and so he thinks I'm fine at least another year, but want's another stress echo in 6 months to be sure. I'm tellin' ya guys, Omega 3 works!

You need to stay around. You were my ace in the hole for my first club ournament this year. Your advice helped to get my highest finish to date 3rd. Good luck dude.

Da Hame