Thru hull transducer removal

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tornado

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Nitro Savage 896 that I bought used. I am about to put a Lowrance LCX 27c in the boat and I have found there are two thru the hull transducers in the boat, which neither will work with the new unit. Does anyone know of the best way to remove the old transducers? Thanks for your help.

I was gonna ask the same question, just installed my new Humminbird and have 2 in the bildge want to clean it up. If I just leave them, I think i'll cut the wires down to the num, that way there is less clutter in there.

But if I wanted to go in the future with a thru hull transducer (don't know if thats what Tornado is doing) i'd have to remove the old ones to make room in the center.

Trep

I was able knock my old transducer out with a rubble mallet and chisel. Gently is the watchword!

I just went thru the same thing and was unsure so I called the service mgr at BPS. He said I could damage the hull by trying to remove the old one so I left it and went beside it.

Thanks for the information. What I have done is cut all of the transducer cables off and eliminated a lot of clutter. One thing did happen I reached down to cut the cable and the transducer came up. I guess the epoxy was bad or hadn't been correctly done in the first place.

Jim

ALWAYS pull on em first. Lots of time when being installed the transducer face is not sanded prior to epoxy. This will create a smooth finish on the epoxy and SOME of them will come right out.

If you cant pull em out the next thing is a chisel and a mallet. I dont reccomend it though.....

Well, you do know that the intent is NOT to hold the chisel like you're driving in a stake, don't you?

Latest posts

Back