Three sport athlete?

• Thread starter Rich Stern [URL]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/c
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only hope this is a joke. I am sorry, but terrific athlete or not, I never could stand Deion. It started when he traded to Dallas. I am not a Dallas fan, but he is cocky, imho, does not play with integity, and the few spots he does for the united way do not make up for his poor attitude. There is something about him that I just do not like. With all the hype and commercializtion (real word?) of the fishing industry, I think the last thing we need is some "ring master" like him bringing glitz and glammer to a sport that has finally begun to prove itself. Just the same, I would catch a ride with you Mac, to one of those weigh-ins, just to see him get his butt kicked by the boys! He would definately be a "fish out of water" No punn! Bottom line....he's just a stinkin' pretty boy! Sorry, now I'm done.

Among the things that would be interesting are: Would his world class gross and fine motor skills give him any advantage? Would his strength and stamina give him advantage? Would his mental toughness give him advantage? It's unlikely any of the tour guys could hit a 90 mph slider, so it would be interesting to see if the reverse holds true and he just doesn't have what it takes to compete with them.

It would be interesting to compare someone that the world acknowledges as an athlete with the athletic abilities of the current tour anglers.

Good questions Rich. But I think that the menatl stamina required for competitive fishing is unusually taxing by comparison to that of other sports. At times you are really at the mercy of the weather, your equipment and other variables. It takes sheer determination to stick it out on a tough day. And when you lose, you lose alone, there is no team in professional fishing. So when you lose the blame is all your own. I don't know how Mr. Sanders would handle that. Just the same, I don't think there is rod or mono stong enough to endure a hook set he is capable of! LOL He would definately have to tone that down or lose fish, only pulling in jaws and lips!

Remember that Deion counldnt hit a 90 MPH slider either, if he coul dhe still would be playing...lol

He is a bass fishing fan, but I nor anyone else thinks he was serious about fishing...too much work for Neon Deion....

Mini

John, I think that's the popular perception of Sanders, but the fact is he was a .266 career hitter, and didn't strike out too much. Folks who can hit major league pitching at a .266 clip are earning a couple million bucks a year. If he had focused on baseball instead of splitting his time, he might have gone on to be something special in MLB.

And I think the work ethic perception is wrong, too. MLB players work from late February to late September with just a few days off, plus a 50% travel schedule. And Deion was going to footbal right from baseball in July, so he was working all the way through to early January. Add promotional commitments on top of that, and I just don't get the sense that the guys is a loafer.

I guess we'll see.

Did you guys know that Geena Davis (actress) is also an Olympic level competitor in archery? Michael Jordan found out he couldn't hit a curve ball in the minor leagues, but it didn't prevent him from spending a year trying.

Some people are simply driven to compete at the highest possible level in whatever they do (or think they can do).

I doubt that Deion is going to win a popularity contest any time soon, which I doubt he even cares about.

Hey, if you ever hear that Mensa babe,(Geena Davis) is taking up fishing now that would be worth taking an interest in and following her progress.

Sanders driving 50K a year pulling a boat, not a chance. He'd have someone tow his boat to each lake and he'll take a private jet and a limo to the lake! He'd probably have someone drive lunch and drinks out to the lake during the day too :)

TrepMan

Latest posts

Back