Thinking of a Nitro? Just say 'NO'.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunz

Reaction score
An NDA prevents me from telling you the entire (initial) two-year saga - but no restrictions on the latest (of many) quality issues with my 2017 Z21 Pro.

Was at the lake last Wednesday (26 October) and noticed the port side storage drawer wasn't flush with the face/cabinet (see photos). Thought maybe it had come of the 'tracks'. Removed the drawer and found this:

Drawer front.jpg

Drawer cabinet left.jpg

Drawer cabinet right.jpg

Drawer top.jpg

Contacted Nitro - they referred me to 'any authorized dealer'.

Contacted (via email) DEALER No. 2 and explained the situation. They emailed me: "I have reached out to Nitro on your behalf and explained the situation. I have been informed that you are well outside your warranty coverage period and a replacement for the door will not be covered under warranty. If you would like, I can reach out to their parts department and get your pricing and availability on the replacement parts needed."

I had met the regional sales manager when I nearing the end of my initial two-year Nitro saga. Figuring it wouldn't hurt to try, I also contacted him (at the same time I was emailing with DEALER No. 2). He was on vacation but told me he'd get back to me. While waiting for him to respond I received DEALER No. 2/Nitro's response (above). I forwarded DEALER No. 2's email (above) to the sales manager and added:

"My thoughts on Nitro's position.

1. The drawer isn't a moving or wear part. The only way it could have failed is defective manufacturing/assembly.

2. I went through almost 2 years of frustration to get this boat even close to an acceptable level of quality. If you go back through the records you'll see even the replacement boat had A LOT of manufacturing issues that DEALER No. 1 and I had to deal with."

His response: "Reached out to our warranty department manager and asked for an exception for you, but sorry to say it was turned down due to the time frame. It has been over 5 years and these parts are warranted for one year only. DEALER No. 2 can order the drawer frame and replace it for you, but it won’t be covered by warranty."

I then received the price (from the DEALER No. 2) for the new storage drawer. Note that the $709.01 DOES NOT INCLUDE 1. The 16 screws - those are $.22 each (LMFAO) or shipping (or taxes).

Part number 181952 No. 1.jpg
Part number 181952 No. 2.jpg

Luckily I did find another source for the cabinet/drawer: https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/ni...-2015-z21-port Total price with shipping: $425.66. And to be fair with Nitro, it doesn't come with the screws either...

So...if you're thinking of buying a Nitro, think very carefully.

I wish I had listened to the other warnings about Nitro quality issues. My 2022 Z19 looked like a used boat when I got it home and out in the sunlight. Scratches everywhere. Glovebox leaking water badly. most of the foam under the lids was falling off. I'm only listing a few items. Dealer did more damage than repaired when trying to deal with the scratches.

This is tough to hear. Just got a 2023 Z19 and havent been on water yet. I did notice on delivery, scratches, imperfections, loose trailer skid pads, stained tail light, and leaking break fluid. Sad the dealer doesnt take more time to go through the boats and check everything, would save some headaches.
Nitro's customer service is the worst which is unfortunate. I feel like because they sell soooo many they don't care, there price point makes them successful, but it will catch up, no matter how cheap they are........people will buy different brands. (Id like to think anyway, although I did not heed my own advice, and why I know their warranty service sucks -previous used boat, screwed by 2 yr warranty deal. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment).

I have to say, i looked at other brands before buying this one and they either didnt look as nice or were way more expensive with less options..... so i guess you get what you pay for??

Has anyone been on Triton, Ranger, Basscat, Skeeter sites and file through their complaints?

Wish you the best shotgunz!

I have had a 2023 Z19 since September of last year and it looks and performs perfectly. To be honest, the damage to your drawer could have only happened from having something too heavy in it since it appears the bottom half of the support is not damaged. This would cause the top and sides to pull in as shown. A heavy object in there bouncing from wave action would cause that damage. The drawer is made for light tackle. Another possibility is something hitting it in the front top. Such as a co-anglers foot or another heavy object. There is no way the drawer would fail in that manner without weight being forced on it or against it. I am a mechanical engineer so feel I can speak as a subject matter expert. From looking closer, it looks like you had a battery in there. I can see the imprints on the bottom of the drawer. That would be way too heavy.

Latest posts

Back