Thinking about the winter

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 52068

Reaction score
What, if anything, do I need to do to winterize the boat?

A 1999 Tracker ProTeam 175 with Mercury 60 hp (oil injection removed by a professional, uses 60:1 mixed gas)

It will be in the garage, never gets below 40. I am retired, and on a nice day I plan to run out and get some casting practice even if nothing bites. Located in Louisville KY, so we get some 45-50 degree days during Dec and Jan, there is a couple of spawning runs I plan to hit in Feb - Mar, so it may be out and running a day or two every month.

I keep mine in the same situation. I just make sure I keep fuel treatment in the tank (especially if it sits for a couple of weeks or so). I also keep her plugged in and I lower the trim to make sure all the water is out of the lower unit.

Winterizing a boat is a foreign concept here in Louisiana. I've never done it. Thankfully we don't have to deal with it. Guess I better stop rubbing it in....
Since I fish every month of the year, I just keep my gas tank full and roll on. We are fortunate, here in the Baton Rouge, area to have non-ethenol fuel availabe all around our area. What will keep me off the water is water temps dropping below 50 degrees. That's rare here and I won't fish when it does- our fish don't like it- Ha.

Thanks -- I will check on the gas treatment. Should have mentioned, I have an onboard charger so the batteries are full up. Motor has to be trimmed vertical just to fit in the garage.

Latest posts

Back