thermostat stuck open (again) - Pro XS 250

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Oleary

Reaction score
So twice in one weekend I got some crap (small sand pebbles) stuck in my thermostats. as a result my engine was running very cold.

I never had this happen in all my years owning an outboard mercury motor, and i now had this happend 2 times in a single weekend (in different places). both times are resulting in a trip to the service mechanic and this is getting to be a big pain and expensive.

1) the port side thermostat comes out with just two bolts and looks easy.

2) the starboard side looks to be blocked by the headunit on that side. It requires taking off the headunit which looks like it has 2 bolts of its own. But I am more concerned about taking off the headunit and the ability to get it all back together. should I be?

3) is there a way to prevent this from happening? sometimes you have to pull up in the mud or on a shallow beach. it is a reality.

i have a 250 Pro XS (2008) engine

Hi Jake;

The therms on that series of engine are prone to clog. Nothing you can do to prevent it other than to stay off the bottom. The Opti's are calibrated to run within tight parameters, and as you realize, will trigger guardian and subsequent codes that can only be erased by our CDS. It's not a big deal to take them out and replace / clean them. Watch what you take off, re-torque as required to re-install. It is VITAL that this motor reach proper operating temps prior to take-off, or risk "cold-seizure". If you have an issue let me know. ;)

Trim up and if you have a jackplate, pull that bad boy up when you go shallow.

Hey Bob,

It's about time FLW and Merc got acquainted! Now I can FINALLY get service at my tourneys!!!:D

Latest posts

Back