Thermocline Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
Is thier even a thermocline when the water depth is shallow? such as 4-8' average?

If your fish finder does not have a "temp" reading built into the transducer, would you even be able to see the thermocline?

Thanks all

Yes there could be a thermocline, but you rarely see them on a graph except in ideal conditions.

In my experience, the thermocline is much deeper, depending on the body of water, sometimes it's 20, 30 or 40 feet down. The shallower you go the thermocline fades away due to the natural movement of water caused by wave action and wind mixing the top layers of water. The hotter the surface temp of the water, the more noticeable the thermocline IMHO. Also each fishfinder will display the line differently, or maybe not at all. My Garmin has a hard time picking it out, where my old X85 and X65 had no problems. Lastly, the temp sensor has nothing to do with the unit being able to pick up the thermocline, it only reads temp at the depth you have it mounted at (1-2 ft).

I used to dive in Table Rock Lake in Missouri. One time I found the thermocline about Sixty feet. In Iowa it runs about 12 to 16 feet on lakes with no current through them. With my old paper graph I could turn up the sensitivity and see it on paper.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back