The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - State Championship

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay, I'm back and here's the report. I'll put the short version here, and give a longer version on one particular, in another thread.

Wednesday - cold but dry. Practice day.

Hit the lake about 10:45AM, and did what I wanted. Basically, ran the lake looking for strucutre, shad, and learning. Only fished for about 45 minutes (line in water).

Thursday - cool but dry. Practice fishing day.

Hit the lake about 7:00AM, and started fishing. Worked the lower lake, trying bigger pockets. Shad, shad everywhere. Finally switched to a finesse worm and picked up a few smaller bites. Shook off any real bites, and didn't set the hook well.

Friday - Cool and rainy (low 60's mostly). Day 1 of 2.

Drew my partner (non-boater) and he had been fishing Wed/Thurs. and reported to be on fish (more so than me). Went to his spots first.

He put the first fish in the boat around 8:30AM, and proceeded to put a total of 4 in the livewell. Worked the upper main lake, points and rock banks. Worming - no crankbaits or topwaters produced.

We were not far from some spots that I had picked out on Wednesday, so around 10:30-11:00AM we moved over there. I had found a dock in deeper water, with really good brush on it. We both picked up a fish there. Really made me fell good that my spot produced as I thought it would.

Total for the day: Me (boater) - 1 fish; Non-boater partner - 4 fish.

It rained the entire day, and the temp dropped down into the 50's. The ride back down the lake was really fun. Moderately heavy rain, running about 42-45 most of the way. About a 20-25 minute ride. Visibility was about 1/4-3/8's of a mile. Kept me eyes glued for other boats (not many of course), and my trusty GPS with lake map on it.

Saturday - Cold and windy - 20-25mph. Day 2 of 2.

Unfortunately, I could not put the boat in the water (other story), and had to switch out and go as a non-boater. Unfortunately, I drew someone who I had fished with earlier this year. I really don't know how he catches any fish at all. Long story, I managed to put a nice chunk into the boat early on a brush-hog. That was it for the day. Miserable fishing conditions - we could not get out of the wind at all, and my partner draw really was bad (he zeroed as a boater both days).

Also, since I had to switch at the last minute, I didn't bring the extra clothing that I should have from the boat/vehicle (I was warm at the landing, since I was running around so much). My fault.

The Ugly - not being able to take my boat on Saturday. Read the other post.

The Bad - Not fishing well on Friday. I really did not execute my worm techniques very well. Simply my fault. I was just fishing the worm TOO FAST! Other part of bad was the partner I drew on Saturday.

The Good - after everything else that happened (I had a few other adventures also), there were door prizes given out. I won a new Flowmaster System in the door prize drawing.

I enjoyed the tourney, but don't really have any final weights since I was busy during the weigh in, tending to my boat.

I didn't finish as high as I had hoped, but I also didn't finish last. And, our club tourney is on the same lake this Saturday.

Tex

Cool...you'll love that Flowmaster:) Good tone and you'll notice a small improvement on gas mileage:)

As far as the tourny...WE are all still learning:)

Latest posts

Back