The BIG one that didn't get away

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Gutierrez

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I had a couple of minutes to kill so I wanted to check in with you and let you know how much I appreciate your support and encouragement.

My first stop at Lake Amistad was awesome. The fish were giant and snappin up the baits. On Day one I did stumble a little bit by weighing in only 11 pounds but I managed to get back on track the next day and bring in 21 pounds I was just a few pounds off the cut but I knew I messed up and have no one to blame but my self.

I moved on over to Lake Sam Rayburn and had a hard time finding a solid pattern or being able to catch fish of any size. I did however find a small spawning flat that I figured I could catch about 10 pounds a day on and decided to give it a try.

So on day one I made the long run up past the bridge and started to look for spawning fish I noticed that the larger fish were absent and then I noticed that the water line on the brush and trees was about 3 inches lower than my practice days (falling water) so I started to move out of the area.

I was about 100 yards away from the flat when I found an area with about a 2 foot depression the next thing you know I was setting up on 3 pounders. The area I was working was only about 150X150 so I worked it very slowly and methodically. I had my 14 pounds and knew I was onto some thing good so I wanted to leave and save it for day two but my non-boater needed one more fish so I hung out for about an hour until he caught his limit fish. After that I bounce around looking for other spots as a back up.

Day two I went strait to the flat, on about my 3rd cast I caught one about 4 pounds, things were a little slower with the clear skies and the bite was a lot more subtle and harder to detect.

My non-boater had just one fish and I had just caught my last fish when the fish started busting the shad I tried every top water and jerk bait I had but I couldn

Greg,

Great update! You're a class act to help out your non-boaters like ya did!

Good luck at Santee Cooper.

Bob G.

Great job Greg, I realy like the "being there" feeling of your accounts on the Pro trial! Keep it up and Good LUCK!!

Nice read Greg. Best of luck to you!

Mini

Great post Greg. I look forward to your tournament reports. Good Luck at Santee. We're all rooting for you.

Craig

Great update. Good luck on the test and on the Trail.

NoCAL

Awesome job.......I will be going to watch the Tx at the Potomac will see you there...LA

Greg I wish you luck the rest of the year. I hope your sponsors etc here of how you treat the non-boaters. You show why and are a big part of why this spor is so special. Keppup the great work!

Randy!:p

Good luck Greg.

I was hoping you would find some time to keep up with the "tales from the trail" stories. Always enjoy reading them.

Steve

Great read... Good ethics... And, I hope you make the promotion...

Greg - I know you can't get any 'help' this close to a tourney, but I can certainly tell you where NOT to go on Santee.

Be aware that Santee is about a foot low right now, so this makes it tough to get to some of the spawning areas.

Best of luck.

Tex

Hey Greg, I got in the Guntersville Tournament next month and I will try to look you up there. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

You are right about Amistad. Big Mama's there. I was watching the Tourney this past w/e on ESPN2. Good luck on this Tourney season.

Max <><

Great post Greg!

Keep up the good work...at BOTH jobs!!!!

P.S. I'll be your non-boater any day!!!

az

Latest posts

Back