The Avalanche

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
The new Tracker Avalanche is in the new BPS Spring 2002 Master Catalog. With nice colors and smooth lines it's hard to believe it's aluminum.

Bear

Got my catalog yesterday, looks like a great boat. My only question is why is it $2000.00 more than a comparably equiped 882? I think that will be the bigest selling point if folks look in the store side-by-side. Aluminium boats have typically cost less than fiberglass ones, and here is high tech aluminium bass boat designed to compete with the fiberglass ones but costs more.

I know the 882 has been out for a while so the development costs of the molds and stuff is not as high as something brand new, but it will be interesting to see how Tracker positions the Avalanche compared to the 882.

Either way, if someone has an extra $18,990 plus frieght and rigging - I'll take one!

TrepMan

Michael -

Twenty some-odd years ago, I was with Goodyear in their Truck Tire division.

As in the automotive division, there was the sister firm of Kelly Springfield that we had to compete with. There really was no difference between the two brands other than cosmetic. However, the cost of research and development was all factored into the Goodyear product along with a higher advertising budget to develope a perception that you got a better tire by paying more for the Goodyear.

Also, just because a product line has been out for a while doesn't mean that the development cost will be factored out. I can't imagine that ever being done. The R&D cost for new products, both those that make it to market and those that never get there, is continually being born by the entire existing product line.

me!

I have always noticed the Tracker and Nitro Line of boats seems to have Low Resale as compared to other names, especially Ranger and Lund. I wonder how this high priced tin boat will be for resale as its design is currently one of a kind. Resale is important to me as I take care of what I own, but like most boaters suffer from Footitis, and can see myself upgrading in a few-5 years if i had one

Scott - Good point, and I understand. I know when patents are applied for there is a period of time before someone can "clone" the product for sale, thus giving the creator time to recover the R/D costs.

I'm just trying to figure out why price the Avalanche 2 grand above your own competitive product (882)? I could see if they were only a aluminium maker, but if I saw both boats in the show room with the same power i'd be hard pressed to make the jump for 2K more. Especially since it's the first year and there are always potential design/quality issues to be worked out in the first year of production.

I know Tin vs Glass may not be exact competitors, but this one looks like it's shooting straight at the Glass market, which I think is great and will be lighter (read don't need a semi to tow) so I might get one someday.

TrepMan

I'm a Tracker guy through and through but I don't care for the look of this new boat. I can't really put my finger on it but it just looks like a tank to me. I can't see spending that kind of money for an aluminum boat when you can get a fiberglass for less.

Perhaps we should forget for a second this boat is Aluminum. Lets call it " All new Marine Specific Alloy" Now how do you feel about this boat?

well, i would look at it with very cautious eyes, nothing tracker has ever made has had a very good resale value, and i have a nitro problem now that tracker seems to be ignoring,

Until I see one in person,...and after having my share of glass cracking and all the other "issues" related to fiberglass,....I'll say this about the Avalanche,...I'd be willing to bet anyone on this board,.....you compare a 2yr old 882 to a 2yr old Avalanche (in 2 yrs of course), and I will flat out garauntee you there will be NO stress cracks in the aluminum,....also,..i will hold any other "opinions" about the tin until I get to ride/drive one,...I dont think the chines and strakes will be as sharp and affective in the aluminum as they are in 'glass,...will that be a performance issue??...sure, for some people,...but i think Tracker hit a grand slam with this boat, and another year or two of development and improvements will only make it better!! We'll all have to wait and see though,...but i think they're on the right track!!

Mac

Mac - Assuming it holds up (i've got no reason to think it won't) why would someone pay 2K more for a Aluminium boat than a Fiberglass of the same size/hp/layout? That's the only thing I can't figure out. Tracker/Nitro has alwas been known for the bang for the buck, but this one being 2K more than a 882 in the same catalog confuses me?

I always thought the idea of tin over glass was the cost (and lighter weight as well as lack of gellcoat/craking issues). You know i'm new to this so go easy on me, but i'm trying to figure out if i'm going for a 18-19 ft boat what's the extra $2k buying me, beside the first on the block. And I know that boats (unlike consumer electronics) do NOT go down each year in retail cost, so unless Tracker changes the price structre there will always be a premium to pay for the Avalanche over the 882. I just don't think the boating public will pay that difference for a few years till the boat technology has proven itself and then it might be too late.

TrepMan

Well,...first off,...this isn't a "tin boat" like a standard Tracker,...the aluminum on the Tundra's and the Avalanche is MUCH thicker, and heavier duty....a full 1/8" thick on the tundra. These boats are going to be MUCH stronger and much more durable than a TX series boat, and much more durable and "crack resistant" than fiberglass!! Next time you're at the shows or at a store that has a Tundra or an Avalanche,....tap on the side of the TX boats, and then walk over and pound on the sides of one of these new boats. There is no comparison,......these new boats will be rock solid!!! As mentioned earlier in other posts, the cost comparison is a valid point,.....R&D costs will have to be figured in, and all the technology that goes into building a boat like this. Glass boats are almost exclusively built by hand, which automatically leaves more room for error and lack of consistency from boat to boat. The new Tundra's and Avalanche hulls and caps are stretched formed via machinery,...VERY expensive machinery and automated robotic welding systems. This eliminates some of the inconsistency, but it also adds alot to the bottom line. I still think that over time, these boats are going to last alot longer than the 'glass boats and hold up much better!! I'm also told that the insurance companies have been on the boat mfgr's for years to try and eliminate as much fiberglass as possible and head more towards aluminum due to the insurance costs to repair and/or replace 'glass vs. aluminum. Aluminum is much easier to repair and cheaper to insure! Once the technology gets to the point where they can stretch and form aluminum to the point where it really looks like fiberglass, you'll see fiberglass take the back seat to aluminum. This is just the first of many new and exciting products and technologies that will be incorporated into the boating world over time. It's like when the automobile made it's debut at the turn of the century,...Nobody was willing to give them a chance when you could buy a horse for a lot less,...well,...we all know how long that mind-set lasted. Thank god Henry Ford didn't listen to the nay sayers then, and I really don't think Ken Burroughs is going to quite on the Avalance and Tundra's now!! I was blown away by the Tundra I saw last year,...I could not believe it was aluminum and neither could 99% of the customers who saw it,.....I can't wait to see an Avalanche in person. I'm not particularly crazy about the "prototype" I've seen pix's of,...but then again, I don't like most of the Prototype cars I see either,...they always seem to improve dramatically between prototype and production. (then there's the Aztec,... but I won't go there,..LOL) 2grand may seem like a substantial amount when you look at the sticker,....but spread that out over 10-15years or the life of most boat loans, and it's not that much difference,....especially when you've eliminated virtually any chance of stress cracking and lowered your insurance and operating costs significantly. Remember, this boat will fly with a 135 on it due to it's light weight,.......Glass looks great, and everybody wants one with a 200-225 on it,...but be prepaired to swallow hard at your insurance and gas/oil expenses. If Nitro ever comes out with a "Avalanche" of their own,....with a 150Hp rating,...I'm all over it!!!! It'll be as fast as any 901 with a 200 on it, and it'll be MUCH cheaper to insure and operate. Gauranteed!!

Just my 2cents Trep,....

Mac

Mac,

Very well said...

BTW, the Avalanche is rated up to a 175 opti...should do around 70mph!!!

Latest posts

Back