THANKS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
I really dig this site, and the people on it. Last week I posted a message in regards to some problems I was having with my motor (stalling out in neutral and at idle speeds). I recieved a bunch of ideas on what may have been the cause (old gas, water in fuel, fuel filter,spark plugs, primer bulb, idle adjustment screw and the biggie, carburator going bad). Not being "Mister Fix It", I was rather intimidated with some of the things I should be looking into. My plan was to tackle one job at a time until I discovered which fix corrected the problem. As I thought more about it, I realized the flaw in my plan, that being, with the limited amount of time I have to get out on the water, it could be weeks before I found and fixed the problem. Which is a bad thing, because when I do get some free time, I'd rather be fishing than fixing. Anyhow, I decided to do the 4 simplest things first, all at the same time. I drained the gas that was in my tank (ALL 30 GALLONS...!!), new plugs, changed out my gas lines and primer bulb and installed a new fuel filter (thank-you Kathy Roberts for hookin me up with the last 2 items, it was nice seeing you and a healthy Craig). I put 18 gallons of new gas in the tank along with the required amount of Quickcleen (I will no longer fill all 42 gallons of my tank up, I just don't use it that fast anymore). After all that was completed, I found a spare few hours and headed off to Lake St Clair (in fact I just returned home 30 minutes ago). I got a little long winded here, but I'm a happy dude, the XR6 ran like a champ. For a good 30 minutes, I drove it like I stole it, no more hesitation coming out of the hole, no more stalling or sputtering. I even found some time to wrangle a half dozen 2 pound largies into the boat and a big old slimy pike. So thanks dudes for the help and steering me in the right direction. I'm not sure which of the fixes solved the problem, maybe it was a combination of them all.

I didn't offer any suggestion but I was having a similar prob when I saw your post and used the advice off of it. Fine Folks here killed two birds with one stone. Thanks all!!!!:D

That's cool...gotta love it when a plan comes together. Speakin' of plans,...we need to get one made for a "ride for a ride!"..LOL. Are you done training the new officer now?? Shoot me an email....eerrr:blink:...let me rephrase that...SEND me an email!!:p

Mac

Glad it worked Scott. And it was good to see you yesterday, too.

Craig

Craig,...WE need to get out too....let me know your work sched. and we'll giter-done!!;)

None of my business Scott, but not filling your gas tank completely when in storage can cause you to have the same problem again. Less than full gas tanks *sweat* causing water to get into the fuel. Condensation in the fuel tank can be a real problem if you live in a humid area. If so you may try keeping the tank full when not in use but add a fuel stabilizer to keep the gas fresh. Just my .02 worth.

RW

RW, thanks for the tip, I'm aware of that situation too, but I don't think that water in my fuel was the problem as I did'nt notice any when I drained the tank. I was more leaning toward old gas. It had been sitting in the fuel tank since last October, I had filled the tank and stabilized it when I put it away in October, but that stuff does'nt last forever, and due to my schedule, I was unable to get the boat out until May of this year. In fact, I stabilize year around. I use the boat enuff "in season" to keep the gas fresh and flowing. I'm leaning towards totally draining the tanks for winterization, but that's another question I'll pose when the season is winding down.

Latest posts

Back