test line ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
Do any of you use a heavier test line than your reel calls for? I have a midal spinning reel than calls for 10lb. test as the heaviest. Just bought some cajun 12 lb. test and wanted to put it on this reel. Do you see any problems with casting? thanks, kenny

The "heaviest" as you say, is actually just put on the reel to show you how much line it will hold at that size - for example - 140 yds of 10 lb test. You can put whatever you want on it - the reel won't know the difference (unless you try to go tuna fishing with it. :lol: ). On one of my smaller spinning reels, I've got 30lb braid (although it's only 8lb diameter), and I've been known to go up to 14 and even 17 mono on occasion - but that is not the norm for me. That's a "special situation"... and those don't come along often. Normally, I fish anything 14lb and above on a baitcaster. Not that the spinning reel can't handle it - but it starts to come off the spool like barbed wire after a little while on the spinning reel. 12lb test should be fine. However... which Cajun line did you buy? Cajun Red Lightnin' is made for baitcast reels. Cajun Red Cast is their "super smooth", designed for spinning. Red Lightnin' was too stiff for my taste on a spinning reel.

All the best,

Glenn

I love that red stuff for crankin' and for spinners but, it's not for line watchin';)

I have found another fantastic line for lightweight stuff and is tough as they come..the Wally Marshall Crappie line in camo or flourescent green. I use the flouro for crappie and it's fantastic! Unbelievably strong for 4 lb. test!

I used the 4lb. camo this spring with small jigs for crappie and wound up catchin' 3 and 4 lb. smallies with no isuues at all.

If you like the red, try the Crappie line...you'll be surprised;)

Kenny - I've spooled my spinning reels with line a couple of pounds heavier than the maximum listed on the side of the reel. Like Glenn said, my understanding is that its more to give you an idea of how much line the spool will hold. Frankly, I never go through that much line before I have to respool anyway!! So far, I've like Stren Magnathin in mono and Yozuri Hybrid in a fluoro/mono combo. Both seem to last and be good for casting. The Stren is what I generally use on my spinners and the Yozuri is what goes on the baitcasters.

Latest posts

Back