Tempest Vs Fury

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STOKER

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Z9 Nitro with a Mercury 225 and Tempest 25 pitch prop. I am having issues obtaining optimum RPM, basically running 5100 to 5300 WOT. Top speed loaded is between 58 and 60 mph. Currently have the motor at 3.5 " below pad. I was thinking about going with a 24 pitch to get the RPM's up and have heard good things about the Fury prop. Any suggestions? Also, any other suggestions regarding mounting height, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.

24p Fury 4 and you will be good to go Stoker.

I have a 2005 288 sport with 225 Opti. Had a 25p Trophy Plus 4 blade, was running W.O.T 67MPH @ 5300 RPM. The Fury 4 has me at W.O.T 72 MPH @ 5700ish RPM. The prop has much more bite out of the hole now as well.

Hope this helps!

24p Fury 4 and you will be good to go Stoker.

I have a 2005 288 sport with 225 Opti. Had a 25p Trophy Plus 4 blade, was running W.O.T 67MPH @ 5300 RPM. The Fury 4 has me at W.O.T 72 MPH @ 5700ish RPM. The prop has much more bite out of the hole now as well.

Hope this helps!
Just bought the 24 pitch Fury 4 and hope to try it out this weekend. What size vent hole plugs should I install to start out with?

Just bought the 24 pitch Fury 4 and hope to try it out this weekend. What size vent hole plugs should I install to start out with?

Start with the plugs blanked off and slowly work your way up until you get the best holeshot.

I have a 2013 Z9 Nitro with a Mercury 225 and Tempest 25 pitch prop. I am having issues obtaining optimum RPM, basically running 5100 to 5300 WOT. Top speed loaded is between 58 and 60 mph. Currently have the motor at 3.5 " below pad. I was thinking about going with a 24 pitch to get the RPM's up and have heard good things about the Fury prop. Any suggestions? Also, any other suggestions regarding mounting height, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I have a 2015 Z9 with a 250 ProXS that came with a 25 Pitch Tempest Plus.....I would set jackplate an inch higher than it was set from the factory and run a 25 Pitch Fury with the vent holes wide open....I went through a 6 month migraine headache with my boat to come up with this set up. Kinda a long story but in case your interested ...here it goes .....when I bought my boat and got it broke in I wanted to see what it would do so I ran it the first time wide open and once I hit 73 mph it chine walked so bad it was dangerous and very scary ...no way would I ever achieve top speed like this ....so not ever having experienced chine walk before I took it back to Bass Pro in San Antonio for them to look at it ...they had it a month and when I went to pick it up they pretty much just shrugged their shoulders ...no idea how to fix this ....so I took it to the Tracker Dealer in New Braunsfels , they had it a month and the only idea they could come up with was to drop my motor down to the next lower set of mounting holes .....well my motor has a jack plate ...so this was an amazing bit of troubleshooting there ....I could not get out the door fast enough to get my boat back from these people....I began researching chine walk on the Internet...hours and hours of research over a 6 month period was useless....then one day I was bored and pulled up an article on proper jack plate setting. There was one person that had replied to a post ...one sentence that said.. “now that you’ve raised your motor you chine walk should decrease “ WHAT ???????? I immediately raised my motor a 1/4 inch and ran it ....sure enough ...RPM’s went up , speed at which it started chine walking went up and chine walked decreased....water pressure was still good so I went up another 1/4 inch ....same results ..increase in RPM’s, speed , decrease in chine walk ....so I went up another 1/4 inch , then another and once I had the setting an inch higher than it’s factory setting I’m ripping down the lake at 75.5 mph , chine walk is gone ..a little over 6k RPM’s....which is too much ...the Merc’s Optimum is 5800 to 5900....so I sent my prop off to have it balanced and blueprinted and some cup added to get my RPM’s down some ...it costs $237... money well spent ...got it back and ran it and my boat leaped out of the hole ...and smooth omg ...zero vibration...and 5850 RPM’s....but I lost top speed , 73.1 is the best it will do ....wanting to see 75 mph again I purchased a 26 Pitch Fury...out of the box the this prop ran 76.8 Mph...(all speeds are GPS of course) ... but it was slow out of the hole ...not terrible but not impressive at all ...so I was thinking I went from a 25P Tempest to a 26P fury that I skipped one in between so I purchased a 25P Fury ....this Prop is the best of both worlds ...it jumps out of the hole and top speed is 75.7...mid range acceleration is impressive. Everything I’ve read about the Fury’s is that they are designed to run with the vent holes wide open...the vent holes only come into play on the hole shot so I would run them all open ..if it blows out on you on the holeshot then I would plug one at a time untill it doesn’t blow out. On another note ....I sent that 26P fury off and got it balanced and blueprinted too hoping to get even more speed out of it ...no luck ....actually lost 1 MPH but very very smooth..it’s for sale ...in pristine condition not a single scratch.

Attachments

• EA2BCC4C-9592-4FA7-A674-555265316B23.jpeg
    EA2BCC4C-9592-4FA7-A674-555265316B23.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 202
  • AE821CBD-F651-4D61-8645-243D0248D04A.jpeg
    AE821CBD-F651-4D61-8645-243D0248D04A.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 246

Latest posts

Back