Tandem Axle Trailer Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Lee

Reaction score
I just purchased a used 1997 Tracker tandem axle trailer and a 1996 Nitro 205 Sport and there are 2 black wires coming off of a small plastic device attached to the hydrolic brake cylinder in the tung of the trailer. One wire is connected to the trailer (Grounded) and the other is just hanging loose. Can anyone tell me where this wire should be connected and what it does? Thank you in advance for any help.

correctamundo Scott. I believe it is to deactivate the solenoid for the brakes so you can back up. BTW Buzz, if you read this, you DO have brakes on your trailer.

Scott and Rob,

Thanks very much for the info. This makes a lot of sense. I'll check it out. Any info on how you would typically hook this wire to your vehicle? I don't believe my trailer has back-up lights. Thanks again for all you help.

Yeah that wire is usually either blue or black. If you can back up at all, then your brakes are not functioning. When working correctly, you must have voltage to that wire to be able to back up.

Once when changing vehicles, the connector harnesses were different, so I had to wiggle that pin into the one for the running lights, and turn on my headlights before backing the trailer.

Take your boat to a trailer shop, I bet they could either hook it right back up, or you might have to pay for a repair on your brakes (which would suck). OR you could just say to heck with the brakes, and use it like normal................sa

No not the trailer Joe, your truck, when the reverse lights come on in the truck, it activates the solenoid pushing the pads away from the drums on the trailer because normally, forward momentum (typically in braking but also when backing up) pushes the mechanism that activates surge brakes. Thus you wouldn't be able to back up the trailer because it would be fooled into thinking you were braking hard and would halt the rear axle, the black wire bypasses this function. Buzz's brakes are just plain worn out, so it doesn't matter, it backs up anyway. I need to get them fixed as my truck is not really big enough to stop that size boat quickly without brake assistance. It pushed me into an intersection one day on wet roads. No worry Buzz, I handled it fine. Plenty of power to tow, but not enough to stop is not good!

Joe -

It works off your vehicle's back-up lights. Bad part is that you need more than the standard 4-prong connector; you'll likely have to go up to the 7-prong round unit to acheive what you want done.

For whatever it's worth..... My trailer does not have that disabling feature on the brakes. I haven't needed it yet for just about any situation. The brakes have come on a couple of times when I've backed the trailer off the pavement and onto dirt; but I've just pulled forward a couple of inches and that freed them.

me!

My 2000, 929 takes a 5 pin flat prong. The extra is for the reverse lights/brake release. Here's a little tip--- My trailer shop wired a 4 pin then got a 4 pin to 5 pin adapter and connected the reverse wire so it could be unpluged. Now I can do 4 or 5 pin.

TOXIC

It sounds to me like your brakes do not work at all. This isn't a problem if you don't care about them. People have used trailers for years without brakes.

If they worked fully, then you couldn't back up AT ALL with that wire cut................sa

StevenAtwell,

Then how do you move your trailer around if its not hooked up to your truck? I'm learning here so please be patient.

Joe -

The brakes will work just fine when connected to your truck..... The tongue on the trailer is two pieces - one telescopes into the other. Inside the telescope is a piston that acts like the brake master cylinder on your car. As you apply the brakes on your truck, the momentum of the boat & trailer push forward and compress the piston forcing fluid down the tubes and actuating the brakes. When power is sent to the solenoid by the back-up lights, the solenoid is switched "On" but it in turn shuts your brakes "Off".

me!

the wire puts power to the solenoid so that no fluid goes to the brake line to the calipers.the drum brake had the free backing feature which disables itself inside the drum so there is no extra wire on the system.

if you get the litemate plug system,which taps into the tow vehicles light system,the white wire coming out of the 4 pole plug which plugs into the litemate splice is the reverse wire.if you put the 7 pole rv(flat,not pin type) plug,the reverse is in the system there with the litemate system,all you have to do is get a 5 pole plug or get the 7 pole rv plug for the trailer.

Thanks to all who have responded. I think I have enough info to get my trailer properly set up.

Thanks again to all,

Joe

Joe,

Scott is correct. If you have a 7 pin connector on your tow vehicle, then you can put one on your trailer with the "brake disengage" wire connected to the reverse circuit. Wesbar makes various trailer parts, including the lights that are on Nitro trailers (at least all of mine). I found a website the other day that carries most of the Wesbar products. I have not ordered from them yet, but I will probably re-wire my trailer again during the winter. Good luck with your "new" boat.

Bob G.
http://www.easternmarine.com

Rob, I don't believe the trailer has brakes. the brakes that are on the tandem axle trailer are break away brakes, IE.. if the trailer brakes away from the tow vehicle it activates the brakes in the trailer to assist in it stopping and trying to stay on a straight course, I may be incorrect in that but I'm sure someone on this site will know the answer better then I. Also Rob, I will be getting the platform fixed under the pole....

Buzz,

You have brakes on your trailer. They may be worn out, but are there. You are also missing the metal cap that goes over the hole where you fill up the brake fluid reservoir. If I remember. I'll take a pic of mine and post it tomorrow. The cap can be turned to lock out the brakes for backing up. The electrical lockout is easier!!

Bob G.

Thanks, Bob.. Go into to chat, I want to see if it's working...thanks..

the master cylinder on mine is a dico model 60.if the cap has been off for a while,flush the system then see if they work.if there drum brakes they should be taken apart to see if there is lining left on them.if they havent been used in a while,the wheel cylinders are more than likely frozen.try northern tools for the parts.the master cylinder is expensive,around $90,wheel cylinders are $30/pair.champion trailers also has the parts.the conversion for the drum to disk is about $120/side.the master cylinder has to be slightly modified.the check valve has to be removed,and the anti-backing solenoid added.

My tandem with surge brakes also has a mechanical shut off lever that can be turned off to enable the trailer to be backed if it's not wired to the tow vehicle. Your's maybe turned off that way. If so your brakes are not functioning while towing.

Latest posts

Back