Talking Guns (Rubber)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
Who has ever made a rubber gun, pistol or rifle?
During the summer we would take a board, trace out a pistol and or a rifle, saw it out and then shape it with our pocket knife. A good notch at the end of the barrel and inner tube wrapped cloths pen at the hand end, if you did a double shot rifle just make sure you depressed the top rubber first.
An inner tube that was not usable inner tube, carefully cut long strips of equal width, tie a knot at the bitter ends and slip over the notch and install the other end in the release end of the cloths pin. Now you are lock and loaded.
Divided into teams, normally wearing only shorts and bare footed, and the game was on. If you did not have a large number of red whelps on your body by the end of the game, either you were lucky or you were hiding.
You could wrap rubber strips on the release end of the cloths pen and shorten the rubber sling for a harder shot.
Playing these games did not make us go out and kill people because we were upset with a person or a company.
For those that do not know, inner tubes were used before tubeless tires and some had a good stretch to them.

cq

Heaven's yes we did. Used rubber bands and Mom's canning seals. Had all out CQC battles all in the space of a basement or front yard. Never felt the urge to go kill someone though. If I could find a way to shoot something I did. I used a bicycle innertube and gravel to shoot squirrels out of trees. Strung the tube in a tree crotch put in a piece of gravel and let fly. It'd go 200 yds.
fatrap

My son's first repeater was a five shot rubberband pistol at age 3!!!

Seems like tame stuff compared to the video games kids have available. Why make a rubber band gun when you can blow up bad guys with a M19 automatic grenade launcher all while sitting on your butt eating chips and drinking Pepsi. No wonder the children we have are fat.

fatrap

hey hey, don't knock my Pepsi man :p, I love my diet pepsi and I love sitting on my butt blowing stuff up (battlefield II). You sure have brought up fond memories though of spit balls and rubber band poppers (bits of paper folded to zing the girls butts) LOL :D, and for our true enemies - replaced paper with paper clips - zzoooiiieeee

Spit balls reminded, we had an RX shop that had a soda fountain with stools and booths, get a cherry coke with a straw, pull one end of the paper off the straw, spit ball the other end and like a blow gun straw paper hanging off the ceiling. Had to keep an eye out for the store keepers, if caught they would make you leave. The ceiling was covered with straw paper.
I have another story with kitchen matches and pump Daisy BB gun for another time. Got a good butt beating for that one. Or mini rockets with the whites of kitchen matches. Or busting the sewer line with my cherry bomb, round rock mortar launcher. Another good butt beating.

cq

I am sure that I (actually "we" since I had help...lol) would be on a terrorist watch list.... Charcoal, Potassium Nitrate, and Sulphur (all freely bought and sold to 12 yr old boys at the local pharmacy...LOL) (BTW that is "blackpowder"); a "mounted" section of 1" Black Pipe, a pipe cap with a small hole drilled into it screwed onto one end and several firecracker fuses...Our "cannon" (the mounted pipe) would be loaded with our blackpowder and a small wad of newspaper, some pea gravel and another newspaper wad..... Boom and splintered scrap plywood was the target/result.... Yeee-Ha "Redneck fun" southern Illinois style.... didn't have real toys so we did cannons for fun!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back