Tach Help

• Thread starter Marvin Neukirch
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 85 Nitro with a 60 HP Mec. The tach has went away and I ordered a new one the other day from Bass Pro Shops, I think I can fix this problem just find the gray wire and that should lead me to the pulse of the engine. My main problem is the system OK horn, Saturday when I turned the key on it did not buzz, and a place in Topeka said it was probably the fuse......I have looked every where on the boat and cannot find a fuse that runs the ignition system OK horn.....Any help on this would be very appreciated. The boat starts and runs fine, just the horn will not beep when I turn the key on.

So... it's "horn help" that you need, not tach help, right?

Check to ensure your engine kill switch is in the right position. If it is disengaged, the system check horn will not sound.

All the best,

Glenn

Yes, you are right. Got the tach thing whipped I think, but still cannot understand why the horn quit working. The kill switch and lanyard are in place, boat will start but the system OK horn just does not work......... Things like this kind of drive me nuts, good thing I am retired so I have a bunch of time to look at this problem.

Marv,

Are you SURE that the kill switch is in the right position? I've seen several of them (mine included) that will keep the kill switch lanyard semi-captured with the kill switch in the down position. The engine will still start that way, but the kill switch is basically disabled, as the engine is started with it already in the down position. When that happens, the horn does not give the initial "ok" beep. The reason the horn doesn't work in that situation is to warn you that something isn't connected and in the right position (kill switch).

OMC motors were different - My Johnson FastStrike wouldn't start at all with the kill switch tripped. Problem with that one was - if you didn't have a lanyard, you were screwed, as there was no way to start the motor unless you rigged something to keep the switch engaged.

Other than that, it could be the wire to the actual horn that got cut some way, or a bad horn, or ??? (I'll keep thinking, but I think that's about it).

All the best,

Glenn

Glen, I am running out to get a manual on this engine, I will try your suggestion, thanks for your help

A properly installed kill switch will not allow spark to the motor therefore it will not run. If you have (had) a kill switch that would allow the motor to start or run with the switch in the off position, there is (was a problem).

The neutral safty switch cuts off the starter motor.

As for your warning horn, I dont think there is a fuse. The horn may have gone the way of your old tach. You can test it by removing it and applying 12v to the leads to see if it works.

Mini, thanks I know the kill switch works, my grandson pulled it out a week ago when we were on the water and the boat did not start, then I found it on the floor....I will test the horn.....thanks all I have got the manual now so maybe I can get smarter

Mini,

I was about to argue the point with you, but wanted to make sure what I had experienced in the past (4 years ago) was right, so I went try to crank mine up. This 05 Opti is my first ever Merc - previously, I had owned all OMC engines. I knew there was something different about the kill switch and how it operated.

With the kill switch in normal position, when I pull the lanyard, it dies.

With the kill switch in the popped position, the initial system check beep does not sound, and it does not start - as you stated. My mistake - sorry.

I knew there was something different, and finally figured out where I went wrong - Mercs can still operate without a lanyard in place, as the switch will stay up without the Merc lanyard loop to hold it in place. OMC - like on my old 97 FastStrike - would not start without a lanyard clip or something else like that clip holding that switch in the normal position.

Sorry for the bad gouge.

All the best,

Glenn

Went out and tested it, it had a bad ground. After messing with the dwell meter for a while I got out the battery charger and some leads and the horn worked, kept looking and found the ground had broken at the switch. Fixed it and now it works. This boat is getting like me, fix, fix fix. If taxes were not so high in Ks I might jack it up and put a new or newer one under it.

Thanks all for your help on this, now just waiting on the new tach from Bass Pro Shop, hope it goes well as far as hooking it up. Thanks again all

I understand about the OMC's and Yammies are the same way. A small "button/plunger" switch style with a "fork" shaped standoff to keep the "button out" in the running position. Lose your kill switch and you arent going very far without some "McGyvering".

:)

Latest posts

Back