Summer time is Study time

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
One of the best ways to catch fish is to understand your quarry. Study the creature and the methods used to catch him. Read why the pros and other good fishermen are successful. Check out their equipment, technique, time of year, etc. Then force yourself to change, if necessary, to a method that catches fish instead of fishing only how you want to. As an example, I hated fishing tube baits. They look dumb and they are too slow but I knew they produced fish. To become a better tube fisherman I went fishing about five consecutive times and only took tubes. I had to produce with them because I had no options. I studied how the big boys used them and tried the same techniques. That experience helped me become very proficient with them and that breeds success. Success builds confidence and confidence catches more fish than anything. I have since boated a lot of fish on tube baits that I probably would not have caught otherwise. I will catch more.

After a lifetime of fishing, I still study the sport. When I read a magazine that has an article that is useful, I cut it out and file it by topic. When I need to brush up on a season, condition, technique, etc. I return to my saved articles and re-read them to get fresh thoughts in my mind instead of unproductive habits. I have copies of articles written more than twenty years ago that I feel still contain good information. I can

Couldn't agree more Barry. A couple of years ago, I made the decision to be the very best angler that I could be. I knew that if I ever wanted to be one of the best, I would have to learn from those who ARE the best. We have a LONG downtime up here in the north. I use it to study my prey. Videos, magazines, shows, once I even went out and caught a 4" smallie to put in my 30 gallon fish tank to observe. I learned more from that little guy in 1 winter than I dare to admit. I had been a good fisherman up to that point. But once the decision was made, I can now say that 4-5 years later, I am a top notch angler and an awesome guide. Please, nobody take this as cocky, only confident and I have been paying my dues more than my age shows. If it's one thing I have learned guiding and in tourneys, it's that, as much as I know, I don't know nuthin'! We can all still learn everyday. And that's my prayer everyday, that I can learn something new and maybe teach something to someone else. Being humble goes a long way. Look at Mac. I tell folks, being in a fancy bassboat, doesn't make you the next Bill Dance, anymore than being in a garage makes you a car! I love my sport, and one day, with the right attitude and perseverence, I WILL be one of the best. By the sounds of it...Barry, so will you.

If the wife is in the boat, blaming the space shuttle is a handy misdirection. :)

You guys are so right! To be succesful, you must be constantly learning about your prey. Always keep an open mind to new things and also be ever watchful about the environment around you. Unfortunatley we are so far removed from our basic instincts, that we're not the top predators like we used to be. Now the mind must work extra hard to be one with the water and all around you. I live on a small 450 acre lake that I've fished for the last 30 years, and though topographicly, I know the lake well, the fish always suprise me and slowly give up their secrets of their under water world that we know nothing about. (though we'd like to think so). Time on the water, the power of observation, and an ever open mind will slowly make you the most consistent fishermen in your area.

Enjoy all of your comments on this.

A related question: Has anyone here ever used an underwater camera in their pursuit of bass fishing excellence? If so, do you have any insights you can share from the experience?

Rich - I know what you mean about sights and sounds. Last Friday I took my boss and his 14 year old son out fishing on Allatoona. I'll admit up front I can't quit my day job and become a Pro/guide just yet (I know Mac and the rest were shaking in thier boots for a minute LOL) and we caught ZERO fish from 3pm - 9pm.

But, the things that they pointed out to me were of the forest for the trees type. For instance. Were cranking and worming our way around a main lake point, and the 14 yearold points out a very large Deer not 15 feet from shore in the edge of the woods. Now i'm in the front of the boat with the trolling motor and I never saw it till he pointed it out. I was so concentrated on my casting, cranking and the line never even saw it.

Made me stop and think (not that I want to concentrate less on fishing, though my luck lately it can't hurt :), but i'm making sure I take more time to look and listen while i'm on the water.

Tomorrow afternoon, I get to take a friend of Noah's and his dad on the boat after school. The boy, 4, has never been on a boat before. So we're planning to mostly cruise, tube and swim at the beach (including a dinner picnic). If we have time we'll try some bream fishing, will have the obligitory can of worms in the cooler. Can't wait!!!

TrepMan - I love my Tracker!

Rich, I do not have a camera, but when warm enough, I like to snorkel and observe bass in their element. You would be surprised how very little they are alarmed by you presence provided you simply keep you distance and only watch. I have seen many interesting events unfold under the surface, but you'll have to buy my book! LOL

Snorkeling is cool! It's amazing how close you can get to the bass before they swim off. have yet to get close to a big one, but have been within arms reach of 1 and 2 pounders. They get a little nervous, but don't flee in panic.Kick you flippers in the mud or through the weeds and watch the panfish come in in droves looking for a free meal that you just stirred up. Look real hard and you might see some bass lurking in the background also checking out what's going on. I've found in open water the fish will swim ahead of and away from you, but, if they are holding in cover, particulry wood, they don't panic at all.

Rob:

You certainly have the right attitude. Remember it ain't braggin when you can back it up. None of us can get them every time but I never go fishing hoping to catch a fish. I go "catching" hoping to get a lot. When I was doing a lot of local tournaments, I would get myself so ready I couldn't sleep the night before because I knew I was going to catch fish. My boat was ready, my fishing equipment perfect, and I had a solid game plan as well as backpups. There is nothing better than that tournament or just a fishing trip when the plan comes together on the water and by about 8:30 you're in the "zone" and you know you're going to have a great day.

And you brought up another good point, videos. They are a great teaching aid and I still like to watch one or two the night before I just go fishing. I have even gone on ebay and picked up some nice used videos for a few bucks. The return on your investment can be great.

And guys, as far as staying in tune with our natural surroundings, I really believe that is a must for consistent success.

Remember, I fish, therefore I am.

What a great post one of the best I have seen on this board. It just summs it all up.

Hey Guys,

Snorkeling equipment is a permanent part of my boat too. There's nothing like seeing bass in there own environment. There was this one time that I was snorkeling in the sunshine and remembered something I saw on a TV show about bass using shade as cover. so I swam over to an oak tree over hanging the water. When I entered the shadow it took a second for my eyes to dialate and adjust to the darkness. All of a sudden I realized that I was nose to nose with a largemouth bass that was at least 4 lbs. Not to mention that everthing appears 33% larger under water. It scared the crap out of me. I thought it was Jaws....LMAO

Snorkeling is deffinately cool!

Marke

Latest posts

Back