Summer Time Fishing....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parrotth3ad _

Reaction score
...... STINKS!!!!!! I've tried fishing deep and shallow, fast and slow, lite and heavy, dark and lite colors, I've fished structure and open water from trees to rocks (no grass in this lake except what occasionally falls out of an airplane late at nite), points and coves and everywhere in between, I've even contemplated throwing the net just to see what's down there. To put it in the mildest terms.... I AM STUMPED!!! Can't even buy a bite. If I were feeding my family with the fish I've been NOT catching, we'd be on food stamps and eating Govmint CHEESE.... (remember that stuff? it was GOOD....) ARG!!!!! (In my best Marvin the Martian voice....) THIS MAKES ME SOOOOO ANGRY!!!!

Ahhhh I feel much better now, thanks...

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Parrotth3ad

"... Got to stop wishing, got to go fishing, I'm down to rock bottom again..."

Parrotth,

I know your frustration. Read some of my last 5 0r 6 fishing reports. Don't fret, the fall bite is coming and it will make up for it. In the mean time, fish early, fish late, and down scale your bait, hey that rhymed! Also fish deep and on the bottom. But during hi sun, go swimming, or snorkeling as I do. Get down there, see what the fish are doing. Do some skiing, run over some waterfleas, (nothing personal folks). But the best bites are early and late until the nights begin cooling off and the "shift" starts. Good luck.

Rob

Try really late at night....dark colored top-waters and a bottle of brew...

It's always summer here in FL LOL. I agree with Ken. Best results here are late evening and after dark. I fish a small local tournament (15 - 20 boats) every Friday night (7:00 - 1:00) and it always takes 15 pounds (5 fish), and sometimes 20 pounds to be in the money. Most fish come from flippin jigs or worms on the outside edges of heavy cover after dark. Late evening topwater can be productive.

BTW - surface temps here are now 90 degrees and may only drop to 87 by midnight.

Russ

I find it so interesting how everyone fishes differently but that is what keeps all of us fishing and learning each time we go out. Summertime fishing really depends on the lake you are fishing. The lakes in my area have rivers or major creeks coming into them so I usually go to those in the heat of the summer. I fish the logs, stumps, or trees off flats with Balsa BII, spinnerbait, or jigs. I will also run way up to where there is moving water and fish the breaks/changes/flats with the same cover and throw the same baits. I usually like to fish in 6' or less and the water is from 85 to 90 degree surface temp. I actually like the heat of the day and the sun (plus the current) because that usually puts the fish in catchable places...tight to cover. All bass are different though and I know lots of people who sit out and spoon in 100' of water or drop shot in 60' and they catch fish. I just don't like to do it and I feel there will always be some fish shallow even in the heat of the summer. Check out my last few reports I have entered on the fishing report board.

I didn't have a great summer, with the exception a couple of notable catches. Fishing with Dan Jorgensen a few weeks ago taught me something about how easy it is to start badmouthing a lake at a certain time of year, when the lake doesn't really deserve it.

Dan was catching on Lanier at a time when a lot of people were reporting tough conditions (and some of the small-minded folks were resenting it, too). Spending one day with him made me realize how different his fishing was from mine. Location and topology, bait choice, amount of time invested in specific areas, among other things.

I try not to kid myself. With only a couple of years of experience under my belt, I know I am in for some really tough seasons. When that's happening, I've got to remember to change tactics and try to evaluate things differently from when catching is easier.

Wish there was a magic formula, but it seems that sometimes successful fishing feels like work, not play.

Well, the BIG T of the year is comming up this weekend. It used to be billed as the "Largest Night Tournament in The World" but I don't know if it still holds that title. 6 pm to 6 am, over 500 boats on one lake, fishing all night will make for an interesting evening at least. That is where the frustration factor comes in effect. I've been on some decent fish untill the surface temp jumped to the high 80's and the fish just seemed to vanish. Been sticking around the same areas and fishing deeper thinking they moved out to cooler water but to no avail. Guess we'll just wing it and see what climbs into the boat with us. And on a side note, I'll be fishing out of a Bullet (pards boat) and my pard like to drive FAST. Anybody got a G suite I can borrow. I'd hate to black out before I hit the water...

Parrotth3ad

"... Pissin in the wind, bettin on a loosing friend, makin the same mistakes we swear we'll never make again,

And we're pissin in the wind, but it's blowin on all my friends, we're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren..."

Smith Lake, launching out of Speegle's Marina. 21st year of the T and no fatalties. Up until they broke 250 boats, they would shotgun the start. Now that was a sight, seeing 250 boats blasting off at the same time. My uncle would fish it every year, but he wouldn't even put his boat in the water until after everyone else was gone. Pards already gotten two duck sticker on the side of his boat and that's just from this season. He almost got one duck using my head as the blunt object. I didn't know they could fly that fast.

Parrotth3ad

"... you aint as green as you are young..."

As Terry said, I think it all depends on what lake your at. Most of the lakes I fish have a lot of milfoil in them and I think that the summertime is the easiest fishing. Only because the fish pattern simpler. When it's sunny the bury up in the weeds, when it's cloudy they roam around the edges of the weeds. It's almost a sure bet if you get to pitching a Brush Hog or a Jig & Pig into the weeds, your going to get a limit.

Latest posts

Back