Suggestions for Walleye Fishing Baits in 2 weeks in Ontario???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
O.K. you northern dude and dudettes - less than 2 weeks till I fly in to Western Ontario for Walley and Pike (2 hours north of Lake of the Woods). I've got my streamers for my fly rod for Pike, and looking for any new/different approaches to Walleye this year.

We'll be in a private/fly-in lake. We normaly have our best luck jigging with live/dead bait in 20-30ft over drop offs. And drifting baits under floats in moving water.

I just read an article that mentioned trolling deep crankbaits, any suggestions for baits?? My deep diving Bass baits are probably way to BIG for walleye's. I've got 2 Wallydivers, but any other suggestions.

TrepMan

Lots of bleach and M-80's! Kidding. Actually, I have had a lot of success on eyes with the next to largest, clownfaced husky jerks. Fishing a resovoir downstate for smallies on vaca and hammered eyes. Tried it up here on opening weekend and it worked here too. Try it. Have fun!

Rob

TrepMan, a lot of guys use the shallow running minnow/stick baits but attach a snap weight or three way rig it to get it to go down deep.I had good luck this year fishing with BPS suspending minnow bait that had a rattle in it. These are the ones that look very real. Of course fire tiger seems to work in a lot of places too. Have fun and good luck.

Mike

Here is a URL to the lake we'll be fishing:

http://www.nestorfalls.com/larus_lake.htm

TrepMan

Trepman,

I fished just NE of Nestor Falls with some buddies and had good luck with nat. perch and firetiger Storm Thunderstick Jr's and #7 and #8 Shad Raps in similar patterns. We back trolled mostly with 6/14# Fireline and light action 7' rods. Using one rod per angler, we managed several fish per hour in tailraces and above the falls. They were scrumptious! Biggest was a 29"er caught trolling at 1:00am under a full moon. What an incredibly beautiful area! Have a ball!

Dan - Thanks, need to head your way this weekend.

We've been going to Nestor falls for 10 years and love it, have not had to duplicate a lake yet (we go every other year) on thier property, all fly-in's. Our best times (quantity) have been just in front of waterfalls for schoolies, if I remember about 4 years ago my brother in-law and I did a 1 hour competition and I think he won with 23 fish in the boat!

Cute story - Was heading last night to Walmart so I could get some 6 lb test to spool my light action reels for 'Eye's and some #14 snap/swivels. We're in the car and Noah (4) asks where we're going, so I tell him Walmart and he says "I want to go to Bass Pro Shops, that's where the good stuff is. Walmart doesn't have boats, fish in tanks and fishing videos to watch!" Now if that new store was only closer NOT farther from my house.

TrepMan

Trep, you can use the #7s. With the three rig, depending on how deep you want to go, they use drop sinkers on the line going down and then tie the minnow bait on the line going out. Adjust the drop sinker for how high off bottom you want to run your bait. Sounds like you are going to a piece of heaven. I'm jealous.

Mike

Trep,

It'll be worth the drive. The GM took me over last Friday to show me some of the finishing touches to our HUMONGOUS new Seminar Pond. The dock area is so big I could roll around on it. It will be a welcome change to the 2'x2' perch on our current Hawg Trough. There is so much for the kids in our new home. It's gonna ruin you! However, there are some very nice new subdivisions within walking distance to cut out some drive time. LOL I look forward to your fishing posts on your return. Hope to see you soon.

I fish Lake Of the Woods.. 12 Miles out on an island From Nestor Falls. Wallydivers, Shad Raps, Hot and Tots, and Basically Any Crank works well for Us. Expect to get some Pike on these Walleye Baits Too. As for Pike, In addition to typical spoons, etc. Larger Bass Spinnerbaits Work Great. Caught Many More "Slashers" This year on a 4/0 Trailer Hook. Adding a Small Twister Tail to a spinnerbait, spoon, or even the tail end of a Big Rapala Works Great. One more note, last year learned about trolling SpoonPlugs. These Spoonplugs can be trolled at 5-7 Yes I said 5-7 MPH!!! Sometimes things can get tough in Canada and this fast changeup often produces well. Good Luck!!

Mike and Essox - Great ideas guys, thanks! I've tried Pike on buzzbaits, got lots of blowups but no hookups.

Never caught anything trolling (usually just regular spoons and the occational buzzbomb), but will bring an assortment of cranks too!

Dan - Why, oh WHY didn't they decide to go up I-75, I-575 or 400 for the new store, anywhere north but I-85 (farthest from home at about 1 hour max). But the good thing (from my wife/accountant's perspective) is I can't go too often and spend LOTS of MONEY!

Are they going to move the boat service up too? I've got the 4 year extended warranty so will be back to the Tracker shop each fall for tune up, warranty work and other extra's I convince the wife to add (this year at least a water pressure gauge).

After my DISMAL performance 2 weekends ago on Lanier and Allatoona (3 days, 5 fish (only 1 bass, but a monster Crappie at over 1lb) I am looking forward to some real fishing and CATCHING!!

TrepMan

Just got back from MN and I had great time pulling a

RS Shad Rap in Blue Silver. A #7. Have a good time.

Trep,

Yes sir! The entire facility under one enourmous roof. It should make shopping a little easier for folks needing Tracker stuff, being able to go to one place and, literally, have it all. Trust me. You are gonna love it. It's worth the extra ten min. up the autobahn. Have a great trip and don't think about traffic for at least a week.

I've been to a few BPS stores: Of course the ORIGINAL in Springfield (my Father-in-law and I do a run every other year from his place in O.K.), Dallas (used to work for GTE and spent a few days/month just 5 minutes from the store they opend 3 years ago, and as much as I can in Atlanta.

I hope they have the running streams and fish/ducks (besides the tanks) like Sringfield, that made the store so much more outdoorsy!

TrepMan

Did anyone think to ask Scott? He did after all get one at the last rally. If you look REAL close you can tell it's a walleye. LOL

Rob

Trepman...my suggestion is: Bring me some Walleye! :)

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Rich - you had your chance! We go to catch/release only lakes with what the Canadian's call Conservation License, you can keep (if I remember correctly) 1fish per day per person. Since the boats don't have livewells (14 ft Lunds with 9.9 or 15 hp's) we each catch one decent (not trophy) fish a day to eat.

Yeah, Scott - Give me some of those special Walleye lures you used at he Rally!

My problem is we can't seem to convince the wives to go every YEAR!!

TrepMan

Latest posts

Back