Striper Fishing - Need Steel Leader? Hook Size for Live Bait?

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - Heading out in the morning to try some Striper fishing on Lanier. Do I need steel leaders (never seen a Striper up close so I don't know if they have teeth like saltwater fish or not)? Also - suggestions for hook size, shape for live bait and where to hook them (lips, tail, back).

Any help would be appreciated. 22 hours till my 3 day fishing weekend starts!!!!

TrepMan

Michael -

Don't worry about leader at all; your regular bass tackle will do. Line in the 14 to 20# class should be more than sufficient. 2/0 hooks.

When I hook life bait, I often run the hook through the eyes. Yeah, I know, it sounds cruel. My dear friend, Lori, the PETA-monger, wants to kill me for even hinting that I might do such a thing. But they swim frreely and live a long time that way. Clipping of a bit of the tail with a scissors will also get them to swim more erratically.

Have FUN!!

me!

Michael, my main trolling rig is a 20lb mono with a 10 or 12lb flouro leader, about 2 feet long. A 3/4 oz sinker above a swivel on the end of the 20lb line, then the leader and the hook. If the hook gets fouled, the flouro will break and save the weight and swivel, and you can just tie on a new leader.

I've used circle hooks and offset live bait hooks. The latter have been more dependable for hookups. Hook small to mid-size bluegill (2 to 5") through the lips. Shiners seem to work well, too, but we seem to catch bigger on the bluegill.

I often use one of my regular bass rigs with 12lb. line as a second and third trolling line. Set up the same way, usually 10lb. leader. Any clear mono works well for the leader, but I like it to be lighter than the main line.

Recall that beach we had the family outing on a few weeks ago? That area, a few hundred yards from the beach, for a 1/4 mile north and a 1/4 mile south, has been very active for Stripers lately.

Watch your finder for bait. That's where the stripers will be. Go get 'em!

Latest posts

Back