Stress Cracks in Pro Team 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Ross

Reaction score
I have just discovered two three inch long hairline stress cracks in the hull. The dealer took pictures and Tracker has agreed to fix, only if I take the boat to Missouri. The dealer is talking me out of having the cracks welded and insists that I use JB Weld or Marine Tex. I am wondering if using JB Weld or Marine Tex, as a temporary fix until winter will cause Tracker not to hold there agreement to fix the problem? Also, what can I expect Tracker to do to fix the problem. Would they just weld the cracks or replace the hull? In taking the boat to the dealer to get the pictures taken, another small crack was just in its beginning stage. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, the boat is an 06 model, but Tracker has agreed to fix the problem even though it has exceeded the 5 year warranty in "good faith", which I appreciate.

That sounds like a question you need to ask Tracker........not depend on the opinions of the forum. They are the only ones that can speak with authority. If they agree, ask for it in writing.

Good luck

Unfortunately judging from what I've heard from this forum and my personal experience with them, Tracker doesn't have a very good track record in these matters. JB weld!!!!! you have to be kidding me! Please tell me this isn't a Bass Pro Shop Dealer. I worked for Bass Pro and I can't imagine our service manager telling someone to do that. REALLY!

Tracker would probably just weld the cracks and send it back to you in their sweet time. NOW this is what'd I'd do. A lot of people will disagree with me but I'ts an option you might want to explore. It sounds like you don't want to be without your boat for a long time SO I would find a weld shop that has experience welding marine aluminum and specificaly boat hulls. Depending on the location of the cracks they may be able to weld it right there and you'd probably get the same fix Tracker would give you and it'd cost some $$ but you'd have your boat right back. If you have to remove decks,or a repaint will be in order or it looks to difficult you may want to send it back anyway. Soooooo

1. You call Tracker and see what they'll do. Don't believe their timeline. Mine went for a trailer fix and they said a month and it went in in April and got it back in July.

2. Try for the home fix

good luck

fatrap

I would skip the dealer and go right to tracker. After dealing with two tracker dealers is why I own a Champion.

BF

I agree w/Rap,.....find a local fabrication shop and see if they'll do it for you!! I had an aluminum hull many years ago and did the same thing........a local shop did it for me and charged me $40.00.....and they did it while I waited!! MUCH easier, faster, and cheaper to get it done in your hometown. (Granted,..Tracker will fix it for FREE under "good faith" whic is great,..BUT,..you could be "boatless" for months!!!) If I were you,..I'd call some fab shops and see if you can get it done in a day at your own cost (trust me,...it's very reasonable...less than $100 now days)...and you won't be off the water more than a day or two MAX!!;)

Yeah spot welding is not really a good way to weld things....I know:huh:

You'll need to remove all the foam in the area to be welded.

"Limited Lifetime Warranty" only covers externals weld ONLY.

The sad thing is something is causing the stress cracks. You could be just putting a band aid on it but who's to know. I had a Lowe that my brother in law ran into a floating concrete dock and cracked the bow. Living on the Missouri (pronounced Misery) River there's a lot of aluminum boats that get cracked. The guys that did mine put a heat sink material around the area to be welded and went after it.Then welded a reinforcement panel behind it. I had to remove the bow cap which was plywood and a PIA but it never even got hot enough to melt the floatation that wasn't far away. That was years ago and it was about$40. It never cracked again.

Anyway let us know what you decide. If you have winters where you live and want it sent to Tracker I'd wait until then. Also don't depend on the to get it right the first time.

I've dang near had mine completely apart two times to have certain areas welded.

My boat has never been abused and always babied.

Myself...I think it's inferior material for one and you add bad welding to that recipe and it's disaster.

Your gonna' have bad welds for sure in any boat company but, do your own research on TM;)

Tee

My Tundra is aluminum and I heard after buying it they had cracking issues. So far so good. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it but so far other than my carpet coming unglued on the floor and the trailer not trailering up square to the winch post that's been it since 07. brntrout's boat is almost the same age as mine and it makes me wonder. I know there has to be thousands of boats by TM with no issues but quite honestly I won't buy another. Sometimes I feel like I'm owning a time bomb. On a good note it is the best riding and dryest of all deep V's I've been in so I guess I can put up with the cheap compartment latches, crappy carpet, but I should have bought Junior's Ranger but was too lazy to drive to Indiania to get it. Once again good luck brntrout.

fatrap:rolleyes:

I didn't have any problems with mine until it was 7 years old.....I think TM has the 5 year figure about right (in their favor).

I still think it's misleading advertisement (Limited Lifetime Warranty)...ever stop and think about how many "external" welds there are?

The majority are "internal".

This also seems to be an increasing problem...the net has blowed up in the last year on reports:eek:

U need to send it back to Tracker..perhaps the cracks are only the tip of the iceberg, and there is something larger looming that you can't see. Additionally, I'm assuming that if Tracker does the fix, Tracker will also back the fix with some sort of warranty, so if it happens again, in the same spot, they can fix it again, or explore deeper and see what exactly is causing the problem. Will your local welder do that for you. If they have agreed to fix it "out of warranty", I would jump on it. A few of us here have been put through the ringer just trying to get warranty stuff fixed. If they are volunteering to do, let 'em..! Whats more important, a season of fishing or a fixed boat and peace of mind..?

Sorry I missed that, I was at my cabin while that was going on. That was a rather unusual message that Mac left..somewhat slurred I might add..! I'm not a big tea drinker, so I would have to pass on the offer..! Additionally, if I ever find myself at Mac's residence, I will think twice if invited into his garage..! I meant to respond by the way, but I was in the middle of framing up a new ice shanty for the winter..

Mac, on-set of alzheimers? :lol: You left 2. 1 from the garage when the J&C had been flowing and before I professionally dispersed the crowd and the other was on our way to the lake when we passed smitty's exit...it was something like we are going over 100mph, come get us!!:lol::lol:

Dangit..! I never got the second one..! Cell service is hit or miss at my hideaway..

In that case, he called you a doughnut eating pimp that hides behind a badge and doesn't have the nads to pull over a fishing superstar like him. And if you ever came to his house, he would put a cage match beat down on you and retire you to the FOP home:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

YOU'LL PAY FOR THAT TOXIC,...............AFTER I GET OUTA THE HOSPITAL!!! :eek::eek::blink:

OMG...! Thanks for the info Toxic..! I put out a "Be On The Lookout" packet to my shift at roll call with Mac's info and Pic..I had to put the pic on legal size document paper..!!;)

Latest posts

Back