Stren Championship is done

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Ingersoll

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to sit down for long since I got back from Table Rock, but I'm finally making time.

I was impressed with the average size of fish on the lake, but not impressed with the frequency. I found a couple patterns and areas in practice that i felt would produce, but I was only catching three keepers a day. I felt that when I started fishing hard, I could refine the pattern and do better.

The first day I drew a co was GOOD. He had won one of the Strens earlier this year with a four day total of 20 fish for 98 pounds, from the back of the boat! I was fishin trees in 15-20 foot of water that topped out at or above the surface and he started throwing a crank at the bank. Before I realized what was happening he had two good keepers in the boat. It didn't take me long to change my game plan, and I started throwing a football head jig up shallow. I didn't have the size I needed, so I was having trouble working it properly. I made do and ended up with 3 for 9-09 (one was barely legal) and lost one 2 1/2 pound spot when he jumped. My co ended with 4 for 10-07 and was sitting in 6th place.

The next day I knew what to concentrate on and where to do it so I felt good. My first cast of the morning I got a bite and missed it when I set the hook. I dropped the rod, cussed a little, and when I moved the jig he hit it again. That time he was mine and I had a 3#er on my first cast. I told my co that that was a sign it was going to be either a incredible day or a terrible day, it tried to be the former, but ended up the latter. In the next three hours, I missed about a dozen fish, broke two off, and caught a barely legal one. My co caught one keeper and was happy (he zeroed the day before). I couldn't get anything going the rest of the day and ended up with the 2 for 4-04. I ended the tournament in 84th place.

I have had a great year fishing the Strens. FLW really makes it a great experience for the anglers, and Ron is a terrific emcee that makes it fun to go on stage. My family loved being able to watch me weigh in live through the online connection. (a really big deal to me and them) They were able to tavel to Branson to be at the Championship and cheer me on. My daughter (5) made a big posterboard sign that said 'GO DADDY' and cheered for me when I was on stage, Ron even made a few great comments about it.

I have had an incredible year, my goal was to make the Championship (top 40) and I was realistically thinking I would end up in 30th to 50th place. I was able to finish the year in 17th place :cool: and go to the Championship. At the Championship I was fishing against the best 188 anglers in the country and was able to finish in the top half of the field (and was around the fish to do much better). I came in to the year having won the points for my division of the BFL and had the money and the opportunity to see if I could successfully compete with the guys at the AAA level of fishing. I now know I can hang with them and would probably do even better with the knowledge I've gained this year.

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me with info and support this year. Next year I'm going back to the BFL's and hopefully whoop some butt and take everyone's money!

Forgot to add - the next goal - the All American

Dude, you did great!! Sometimes everything just needs to line up. It will happen for you in the near future if you keep at it. Congrats!!

TOXIC

That was a really nice read, sounds like a great year and time, I never met you before but I can say that I'm pretty proud of you. Way to go.

CHRIS CAS

Very nice. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, and had a good experience - regardless. Build on it, and keep moving forward.

Tex

Brian,It was a pleasure meeting you and at least pointing you in the right direction at LOZ.Take your knowledge from this year and build on it and GIVE THEM HELL next year.

Congrats on a good showing. Even better that you came away with a very positive experience. Learn from it all, the good and the bad. And, I agree, the FLW does a great job. My experiences with them on the walleye side were for the greater majority of the time very positive. Any negative came from participants, not from the FLW. A very class act.;)

Latest posts

Back