Still Getting Alarm on 1997 Nitreo 884 Savage

• Thread starter Bobcat University
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat University

Reaction score
How's it going guys? About six weeks ago I mentioned that my Mercury 150 hp efi motor would alarm with a steady 1 minute beep about 15 minutes after being on the water. The alarm stopped and the boat operated with no problems. I took it to the boat shop and got a possible overheating as cause of alarm. Well the alrm came back on Saturday while I was out on Choke Canyon. Plus my rpm meter wouldn't work at times. The boat appears to be running great, it's sound great cutting across the water. Other than the beep, I'm hearing no cause for concern. I'm open to ideas as to what I should check for as the cause of the alarm.

The inop tach and the alarm might have some commonality. Is your battery being charged?

Thanks for the feedback Bob. I ensure all batteries (3) are green before each trip to the water. I don't charge them until the night before the trip. A few months when it initially alarmed, I didn't notice the rpm meter not working. I noticed it on Saturday and it flat-lined on me and then it started working properly but the motor was purring, sounding sweet.

If it is beeping after a long run across the lake while you are at idle or slow speed your impellar is not throwing enough water to cool the engine once you slow down. The performance of your motor might not be altered just because your engine is not cooling properly. A new impellar might worth the trouble just to prevent big trouble. Just my thoughts. Gilly :)

Hey Bobcat,

I also had a problem with my 1997 Nitro savage 2 summers ago. I put her in the water one day and after a few mins, my alarm went off. after awhile of just fishing and thinking of what the alarm could be, I decided it was a overheating issue. So, I got the boat back on plane and looked at the motor and noticed that there was hardly any water coming out. Took it to the shop and told the tech what I thought it could be and after he checked it out, a new impellar/water pump was the fix. Had my lower unit seals done at the same time. Gotta love that Savage series!!

Max

Thanks guys for the asist. I'll look into your suggestions and let you know what I find out.

God Bless America!!!

GBA!!!

What I meant to say "is the motor charging the battery?". Usually, when a regulator or stator starts to go down, the tach starts to act wacky. A telltail sign is a crank battery that is not being charged. I agree with the others about the water pump, and while you are doing that, make sure to address the thermostats and poppet valve at the same time. They all work in concert.

Bob - It appears that the motor is charging the battery. I'll be sure to check the thermostat and poppet valve. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back