Stick Jackets... dang! More money to spend!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I saw a product called "Stick Jackets" a while back. I immediately thought "GIMICK!"

I've always done the "wrap" method to store my rods in the rod locker:

a) Put the lure on the hook hanger, right above the foregrip

b) grab the line about midpoint up the rod

c) twist the rod between my fingers so that the line "wraps" around it

d) store it in the rod locker

Now... this method has worked "great" for me (funny how words can be subjective, huh?) for the past 14 years. I can fit tons of rods in the rod locker, and they come out "pretty good". I have to admit, there have been some rough runs on the Potomac and other places that get them tangled a bit, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Well Friday my fishing partner shows up at my house to head out to Kerr, and every one of his rods are wearing those "Stick Jackets". Hmmmm.... perception changing.... If Ken (my fishing partner) has accepted something as "worthy", then it's worth looking into. He put all of his rods in my rod locker, along with mine. Friday afternoon, as I pull his rods out to get to mine, I discover that I can even reach to the bottom of his pile and pull out any of his rods that I want.... no tangles, no hesitation, no guides clicking each other, etc...

There is something to this product, and this is coming from a "converted" way of thinking. It is SO much easier to remove the rods (and put them back in) when they are wearing those Stick Jackets.

So, I looked into them last night. Looks like I'm spending more money this payday. :lol:

If you haven't looked into them before, they are defitely worth a look.

All the best,

Glenn

Yamamoto makes a fine rod sock that goes all the way over the reel and has a clear plastic window so you can identify which rod it is, all the while protecting the reel from boat rash as well as the rod. I have some but never take the time to rig them up. In my boat they would end up in the lake because I would forget to put the sock away:lol:

TOXIC

Glenn,

I've been using those for a couple of years, got tired of battling those tangled rods in the rod locker:angry:. Saw the "rod socks" in BPS mag, but being the miser that I am, I put my Ma to work with her handy dandy sewing machine. It's too easy to fold the material in half, run the seam and tack on an elastic loop at the bottom. Just told her how many I needed and the length and man, lemme tell ya, talk about a "stress reducer"......:cool:ha ha ha. So, if'n you have someone that loves ya and is handy with a sewing machine, it sure is a lot cheaper than the commercial ones, plus I got the color to match the boat, all important feature don't ya know. Oh yeah, you're right, I have sacrificed one or two to the Lake Gods, but soon got into the habit of throwing them in the rod locker at soon as I stripped them off the rod! Good Luck

JP

PS: And it's too dang funny to pull up to the dock with your rods/baits covered during tourneys and the goobers on the dock are trying to look at your stuff to see what you're catchin' em on and see those covers and are like WTF!.......ha ha ha

Interesting. I've used the BPS rod socks for a nunber of years, and it works well - but these certainly have an interesting design on them.

Thanks for the tip.

Tex

Just another addition - I've messed with "Rod Socks" from a few different manufacturers. Didn't care for them. (Never saw the Yamamoto one though) This one is definitely different. My first thought - buy bulk nylon "loom" material and make my own - Nope. This young lady must get a good discount on bulk loom, as her finished price is cheaper than my price on just the material, and her material is better quality than what I was thinking of buying to make my own.

All the best,

Glenn

I always use stick jackets. I bought all different colors. I wanted the red, white & blue colors all in one stick jacket but they didn't have them at the time. My boat doesn't have rod dividers so they work perfect.

Glenn,

i picked up 12 of those rod socks last season. they have to be best thing since sliced bread. i love them. i actually removed my home made rod locker storage unit and just lay them in the locker. they always come out just as easy as they went in.

i give the rod socks a very enthusiastic two thumbs up!

GregD

GregD,

I got rid of my rod locker "organizer" too - within a few weeks of owning my boat. After the first two rod guides got broken, I had enough, and ripped the whole thing out.

All the best,

Glenn

I've also used the BPS rod socks for years now. Can't beat the price and they work great.

yep me too, ive been using ones from cabelas and bps for as long as ive had a boat with a rod locker. They really do work great.

BPS socks for me. Plus the reel covers. The're only about $4 each and I get 40% off that.

fatrap

Ordered a bunch of Stick Jackets last night.

Baitcast:

Patriot

Neon Red

Blue

Red

Yellow

Neon Green

Black

Spinning:

Purple

All the best,

Glenn

These are the ones I tried one of and what my brother swears by. I put their website here.

My brother says: "The only thing I'd recommend is not storing rods and reels with big multi-treble hook lures attached. Treble hooks can and will get caught on the vinyl. If you take those big lures off though, I can't think of a better way to keep your rods organized. By the way, their covers are lined with a soft liner and the vinyl is perforated so they dry fast if you get them wet. When I'm fishing I just throw the covers into the rod locker until I'm ready to leave. Price? They're cheap. Check the website but I think I paid around $6 - $7 each. You can get about any length for baitcasting or spinning rods." Thanks Dan..

I bought BPS rod wraps because they were cheaper but they don't compare to these Stors-it

sleeves.

Uncle Billy

http://www.stors-it.com/

Latest posts

Back