Steering Stiff

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank M

Reaction score
I also have the steering problem on my 2000 Nitro NX882 with 150HP but it goes away depending on the speed. Is this common with this boat and HP? The steering is fine when its not moving but stiffens up as i move, but depends on speed. Is this cause by the engine torque? I'v only owned it since July/08, so i'm just getting used to the boat, but don't feel very safe with the steering. Can I repair it or should i installing a hydraulic kit? I really don't want to spend money if i don't have too.

You info would be helpful.

Cheers Frank

Frank does it have hydraulic steering or cable? Second if cable is it only harder to one side at speed? I used to have a nitro that hard to steer at speed to the right at speed due to the torque of the 150. I went to a 4 blade prop and it basically went away. I will not own a boat with a 150 without hydraulic again. INfact I am putting it on my TV-18 with the 115 later this summer. Also if it is that new take it to the marina and have them check it out.

Enjoy it!

Randy!

Hi, Randy

Thanks for you reply, The boat is a 2000 Nitro and I have a cable system on the boat. I take it you know what i'm talking about because you stated that you will not own a boat without a hydraulic system. More comment or info would be appreciated.

Cheers Frank

Frank,

Is this your first boat with hydraulic trim on the motor?

MO

MO,

No, I still have a 16ft Thundercraft with a 60hp with hydraulic trim on it. This boat runs perfect, but not practical for Bass Fishing where i go in Ontario.

Frank

So after you get up on plane and the motor trimmed out you still have a steering issue?

The reason I ask is because you said that it's dependent on your speed - which made me first suspect trim, not steering cables. Could the trim be hanging up a bit on the upstroke or downstroke as you advance or retard the throttle, without you noticing it from the driver's position?

once its up on plane the steering does eases up but very stiff docking and at lower speeds. I don't think it's the trim hanging up at all but I will check it out in May. I was told that it may be the torque from the engine. Is that possible?

Thanks

Frank

I've got a 150 hanging on the back of my boat, and the steering isn't tight at all when I'm idling or coming in to dock. It's a cable system, too. The RPMs are so low I doubt that torque would be the problem. Torque would cause more problems as you gain speed until the RPMs stabilize. Propeller airplanes act the same way on run-up, with torque being a problem until the RPMs stabilize.

One thing to try when you have access the boat (on its trailer) is to crank the steering all the way to the right (I believe) until the steering unit's tie bar (by the outboard) is exposed. On mine the tie bar becomes exposed on the port side of the outboard if I'm standing at the stern looking toward the bow. Take some WD-40 and soak a paper towel, then scrub the tie bar clean of any gunk and grease. Crank the steering all the way to the left to bring the tie bar back inside the steering cylinder. Re-expose the tie bar and repeat the cleaning as necessary.

If it's more than that, I'd have a technician inspect the cables themselves for corrosion. If the cable system itself needs to be replaced, I'd think about switching to a hydraulic system. When mine finally wears out, that's what I intend to do.

One other thought: On my steering system I have a pin where you attach a grease gun (same kind used for the trailer bearings). You may want to pump some lithium grease into the steering unit in case it's low. I can't say for sure how much grease goes in, but when I see old stuff starting to squirt out from various places I stop. It's possible that the previous owner didn't do that part of his/her annual maintenance.

Hi MOfish

Thanks for all of your help, you could be right with cleaning and relubing the cables. I will get back to you after that is done. You also state that you don't have a problem with you steering. Thats go, maybe you can look at the photo that I have and compare with your boat or even better I will have a closer photo shot taken in May.

Thanks again

Frank

Latest posts

Back