Steering Cable

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M

Reaction score
My 2001 NX750 DC needs a new steering cable. For those of you who have replaced one on this model, did you have to remove the motor? I am still doing research, but I am almost positive I have the Teleflex SS151. I still have to find the part number on the cable. My motor is a 90 ELPTO. If I have to remove the motor, I am tempted to add a manual jack plate while I am at it. Not an expensive one. Even 4" of setback would be enough. Just something to make it easier to adjust engine height. Would be nice to get the plate installed and sealed on the transom and not have to deal with that again. And besides, everyone knows that jack plates look cool! :D :D :D

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hey, I actually have the exact same boat and motor(mine is green), and had to replace the steering cable last year. I had the marina do it to the tune of $500 because I thought they did have to take the motor off. I did not have a good place to work on it myself while the motor was off.

I hope I hear that you have to take it off because I could have saved some $$.

And a jack plate on that rig would be sweet.

I was told I had to take my motor off, but after looking at it, I thought......nah. Dual system on a Skeeter XS185c, I simply connected the cables to the engine first, then pull the slack up to the helm and attached it to the steering. If you do it the other way around, then there is no way you will have enough slack to line the steering cables up to go into the tubes on the engine. Another hint, make darn sure you tie a rope to the old cable before pulling it out, makes life much easier when running the new cables. Good luck:cool:

JP

Thanks JP. That's exactly what I was going to try. Was just seeing if anyone with a NX750 had successfully installed the cable without taking the motor off.

I have a nx882 I replaced the sterring cables myself and saved about $1000.00. I went online to a marine wholesale dealer got the exact cables I needed for my boat and they cost about $350 shipping and tax included. Bass Pro shop quoted me 600 for the cables plus labor. It just takes some time but if you have a little mechanical experience like myself you can fo it cheaper,Jim

I have a 2005 750 with the same problem. Did you confirm the teleflex part as 15 ft?

Were you able to replace it yourself?

I've disconnected the worm drive under the dash so far and disconnected the bar at the motor. This cable does not look like its going to be easy to pull. You definitely can't pull it back to front unless you cut the bar to the motor off first. I'll try pullling it back to front but its going to take an extra hand.

Anybody have any more hints or advise on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have yet to determine the part number. I think the letters are worn off the cable. If you find it, please post. Also have not had time to look into it further. I am thinking back to front is the only way without taking the motor off. I'll keep the post updated if I get any further. Please do the same.

Thanks

hey Mike, according to the Springfield Tracker dealer, the steering part number is 48918 which is the same as Teleflex #SSG13413B which I believe is a 13 ft cable.

How confusing, when I measured my cable according to the Telelex instructions I got 15 ft.

I plan to go with the dealer info an buy a 13 ft kit but I think I'm going with the Uflex Accutech system.

I made a typo on the previous post I meant front to back when I pull the old cable.

I think I'll pull the old cable and then post again and let ya know how it went.

I gotta get goin on this. Fishing season is coming soon!

Hey Ron.....

Could you by chance have typo'd the Teleflex part number? I can't find an "SSG" but I do find an "SSC" And yes, the 13 would be the length. I think it can be confusing to measure the cable. There are some video's on the web about it. There is some adding and subtracting that needs to be done. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks...

I have a few updates to this thread. I have the Teleflex SS141 steering system. I was under the dash yesterday evening checking things out. I initially thought I had the SS151. I also went to BPS yesterday and verified the from the factory cable length is 13' on a NX750. In researching cables, I found out that Teleflex has a new cable called the "Xtreme" (SSC154XX). It is compatible with the SH5210P (SS141) and SH5230P (SS151) helms. They have designed this cable to work better and it also has a bend radius of 4" vs the 8" for the standard cable. This might make it easier to install without removing the motor and would also help in tight areas and setups with a jack plate. I have not dismantled anything on my boat yet. I need to do this to verify if I have a cable, helm, or motor problem. I can almost guarantee it's the cable, but you never know. Fortunately, you can purchase all the parts separately. In fact, if my cable is bad, I think I will replace it with the extreme cable and then upgrade my helm in the future to a tilt model. In the long run, it costs a little bit more, but so far, I have not found a way to purchase the Xtreme cable and a tilt helm in a kit. In fact, I have yet to find the Xtreme cable in any steering kit. Hope this helps someone.

As I suspected, cable was the problem and I installed it today. I installed the 14' Teleflex Extreme cable (SSC15414). Like I said above, BPS said the cable from the factory was a 13' cable but I couldn't find a 13'. The original 13' was pulled rather tight so I figured the 14 would work just fine and it did. In fact, the extra foot gave me the room I needed to install it without removing the motor. I fed the cable from forward under the dash to the splash well. When it came out in the splash well, I pulled as much as I could out to allow me the room to feed it through the motor. The extreme cable bent enough to make this possible. I lubed it all up really good before installing through the motor and also under the dash. Bolted everything together and was done. Hardest part was getting into the tightest areas to zip tie and secure it.

Hey Mike glad to hear you got it fixed. I've been working on installing the ulfex system I bought. I had trouble getting the steering wheel off. I've pulled the new cable and went to work on the helm. I thought the Uflex was supposed to be immediately interchangeable with the teleflex but nooooooo. I've gotta enlarge the hole in the dash! Dang! I wanted a better system but this looks like I could be doing some hatchet work here. I'll let ya know how it comes out. If I don't screw up the dash to bad and it reduces some of the torque coming on plane it will be worth it.

I'll letta ya know next week for sure.

You are right about those wire ties, I'm all skinned up cutting out the old ones.

Hello everyone I have a 2000 nitro nx882 with a mercury 150 xr6 that I just bought would anyone be able to tell me the part number for the steering cables

Hello everyone I have a 2000 nitro nx882 with a mercury 150 xr6 that I just bought would anyone be able to tell me the part number for the steering cables
There is a code that is burned into the cable about a foot or so on ether the end of the cable which will give you the length. However you can measure the length your self. Measure from the helm to the gunnel then down the gunnel to the transom then over to the center of the motor and add 1 foot. However first you must know which steering system you have, rotary or rack . The rotary is round were the steering wheel goes into and the rack is a 18" long rack (rack and pinon) and the steering wheel is the pinon.

Latest posts

Back