STEADY BEEP....OIL OR HEAT PROBLEM

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
I HAVE A 2004 MERC. 50 HP TWO STROKE. GETTING A STEADY BEEP AFTER ABOUT 5-10 MINUTES OF RUNNING AT 4000 RPM'S. COME TO IDLE AND IT GOES OFF. AN OUTBOARD MECHANIC TOLD ME TO CHANGE OIL TANK , THINKING THE MAGNESTS WERE BAD....I DID, STILL DOING THE SAME. HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF A STEADY BEEP IS OIL OR HEAT RELATED?

I WILL LOOK INTO THAT SITE. MOTOR SEEMS TO BE RUNNING NORMAL TEMPS, AND PEEING LIKE AN YOUNG KID..........BUT SOMETHING IS CAUSING IT TO BEEP.

Well, some years ago I had a beep that drove me crazy. First very intermittent, then on most all the time. Mechanics (nor I) could figure it out. Checked all the oil items; heat; cooling; etc, etc.

One weekend I was working up under the dashboard routing some wires and checking voltages (I was running down a problem). All of a sudden, the alarm started going off (key on) and then off again.

My problem was the ignition key assembly. Bought a new one, installed it, problem solved. While it may not be the problem you are having, it certainly was mine. The pounding over the years damaged the switch and the pressure of the wiring harness (coming and going) caused the alarm to go off.

Tex

TEX, Thnaks for the info, I am afraid this problem will be hard to solve. Bringing it to the shop this week. One thing though, it is consistent-comes on while running and goes off at idle.....It probably will cost me some bucks to find it, already spent $100 on oil tank. I will let ya know when I find the culprit.I am thinking it is time for a new boat or motor.....once problem is solved. I was also thinking of just getting a new (used) updated boat every 5 years or so.

Kenny,

I had the same alarm (beep) last week on my Mercury EFI 150 hp motor. It was a steady alarm that sounded for about 1 minute. As a precautionary I took it to the boat shop (where it remains) but I was told by the technician that it probably alarmed due to overheating. My boat ran fine after it alarmed but I wanted to make sure.

Bobcat, Now that I have researched this some, I see that it happens more than I thought. The pee water temps. seems normal but want to make sure plus that alarm sound is really loud.....I can hear it and I have lost some hearing over the years. Let me know what happens with your motor and I will do the same. kenny

kenny,

you hearing a steady alarm dose not mean you problem is the same as bobcats.

the overheat condition that the alarm is caused by can be created by dozens of mechanical problems. your motor could be overheating for a completely different reason than bobcats.

its just plain silly to just copy his fix.

if you dont find your motors individual reason for overheating and you continue to run the motor you WILL blow up the motor with no one to blame but yourself.

if you cant find the problem yourself take it to the shop and pay the piper now rather than the much more expensive later bill.

just my two cents. take it or leave it

Joe, I hear you and I wasn't going to blow this situation off, just trying to see if it's something I can fix before bringing it into the shop. After reading others similiar alarm problems one thing is clear, the fix is not consistent, each one has a different fix!

kenny ,

good luck and by all means i hope you find the problem.

if you know how to drop the lower unit and check your impeller and pick up tube,

then i would do it. but do not attempt this if youv'e never done it.

also look at any thermostats you may have, gaskets around the head.

water pickup screen. on the lower. are a few ideas other wise take it to the shop.

i hope you get it done before you lose any more of the presious season.;)

The problem was a bad thermostat Joe. I changed it and all is well now but just bought an 08 Nirto Z6 to replace my PT 175. I will miss that boat, best I have had up to this point. just hope the Nitro serves me as well..........time will tell.

Kenny - stab in the dark here, but I tend to agree that its likely an overheat situation. In addition to lower unit check and thermostat replacement, check the poppet valve. Doesn't take much sand, grit, etc. to cause those to stick open not letting enough cooling water pressure build. It will still pee, but may not have enough pressure to get to the top part of the engine. Could explain also why you have no alarm at lower RPMs (not as much water needed due to less heat from lower running).

Latest posts

Back