Started one of the projects from here tonight

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Morgan

Reaction score
Buddy of mine and myself have been admiring the Rod and Reel storage in the new boats. This week I found the project here at Nitroowners.com by John Foster. Today we decided we were going to install them in both our boats (mine '00 nx750 and his '00 Ranger R81 Sport).

Here is the rod box to start with, not all my poles but just with 4 they get tangled and it is an ordeal to get them out of the box when you want one out.

5ad21d63.jpg

We checked a couple of walmart stores and sporting good stores before we found the golf tubes, seems most of the new bags don't use these so they aren't at all the sporting goods shops.

04f4cabc.jpg

I made my cardboard template and transferred it to aluminum scrap I had laying around

a68f6268.jpg

After a couple of test fits

bb66bc1c.jpg

Now I just have to decide how packed I want the rod locker I am thinking 6 or 8. Of course six is the least cluttered and would be less fuss getting rods in and out, but eight would allow me to carry more. Here it is with 6 positions laid out.

adab362f.jpg

Looks good so far Bruce, looking forward the finished project:). Been thinking of doing that myself, but working right now with rod socks. Good luck.

JP

you can easily put 8 in there and I would do it. You can always only use 6 but if you ever want more, it wouldn't be possible if you just cut 6. Looks great though.

Looks great, I also have been tossing this idea around, no time -- maybe this will be the jumps start I need!!

CHRIS CAS

Looks good!

I carry a dozen rods in rod socks without problems. Yes, it is hard to get a rod quickly from the very bottom, but I figure if I need that rod, that fast, I really didn't plan my trip very well. Janet would say I really don't need that rod, but what does she know? Yes, I know I'm talking big because she never reads this site.

I tried this on my Stratos one year. Went back to Rod Socks. If I had more room (18' boat) I think it would have worked better for me but the socks work very well.

Tex

I use rod socks too. I tried building an organizer for my 882 and after a few trips i decided it was more of a pain then it was worth and i took it out. I keep on average 20 rods in one locker with the socks and i never have issues getting them out.

I too considered building one and using some 3" thick foam, but after going to the rod socks in my Z-7 I have 13-15 rods in there with no problem. Still a good idea though.

no progress tonight had to work overtime just getting home.

Laid out 8 rod holders

f9b7bca2.jpg

It may not work out, but I just can't see fighting with rod socks that just seems like a pain for me.

The socks go on and off pretty easy actually. The ones from bass pro are wide enough that they dont hang up on the guides at all even on a spinning rod.

Move your holes up as high as you can get them. I made mine out of plexiglass and 1 1/2" pvc pipe and fittings and got nine in there. I put them as high as possible so I can store boxes and more rods that I rearly use under them, works great and haven't had one to slip out of the holder yet. I thought I posted pics some time ago but can't seem to find them.

Make sure you make a holder for the reel end as well. When running and they shift, you can snap them or bust off eyes. My 929 has an upside down "m" type bracket to keep the reels from shifting from side to side.

TOXIC

I ordered mine from BPS It holds 12 rods and took about 1 hour to install cost less than $200 works great good luck

so far I have 45.00 in the project that was for the tubes and for a hole saw that I didn't have. I can reuse the tool so subtract that and I have $25.00 in the project so far. The only other expected cost are some self tapping stainless screws.

Got the holes drilled and tubes put in, the hole saw wasn't the exact diameter so I wrapped the end of the tube with a couple turns of black electric tape and now it is a good snug fit. I also put a piece of black rubber on the bottom to give it a nice finished look.

5884cb79.jpg

On the back side I put zip ties, doubt I needed them, but just for extra holding power.

24285666.jpg

Here is the Rod Tip Collector mounted in place

37a16c87.jpg

Next up was to make the handle end of the system.

26932230.jpg

Doubled up two pieces to make it stand off from the storage box.

216790a0.jpg

Mounted the Handle end Holder

e84dd1dd.jpg

I need to paint this as it is wood, but I want to take my Dad fishing tomorrow, so I will take it out when we get back and paint it.

The rods all nicely put away

84061933.jpg

Next week I will start the other side box, when done I will have room for 16 rods in the boat.

I have taken it out fishing twice, once with my Dad and once with my buddy that I mentioned in the first post, he doesn't have his done yet. I offered yesterday to help him make his but we opted to go fishing instead. We fished from about 2 to 7 pm and got 8 fish, not a super day but had a reel good time :).

The rod box work great, he was jealous!!! I got in and out of the rod box several time swapping rods, I like to keep the deck clean. Each time I got in and out of the box it was quick and easy and he would moan and groan each time wishing he had his done.

This is a great project for anyone frustrated with just laying their rods in the bottom of the box and playing the untangle me game with them.

Latest posts

Back