STAINLESS STEEL PROP RUSTING

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONAOL

Reaction score
Have about 24 hrs on my 2021 Mercury 150 4 stroke and just noticed the prop rusting inside the housing. Tracker service tech said this is normal. Mercury states the same. Anyone seen this before. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_6085.JPG
    IMG_6085.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6086.JPG
    IMG_6086.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 84
Have about 24 hrs on my 2021 Mercury 150 4 stroke and just noticed the prop rusting inside the housing. Tracker service tech said this is normal. Mercury states the same. Anyone seen this before? Or am I being fed a line of B.S.
This made me go out and look at mine! I am no prop expert but have had multiple boats and motors with stainless props and never seen this. It almost looks like heat discoloration rather than rust though, either way it does not look NORMAL. Good luck getting any satisfaction from factory reps, seems they just want to sell boats, not very interested in customer satisfaction.

That looks more like a bad plating process. Never seen stainless to show surface corrosion. Did you try rubbing with steel wool to see if it just surface or deeper. If deeper you may have a problem

I think someone swapped props on you. The discoloration line almost looks like an ear has had a welded repair. No way a 2021 SS prop looks like that.

That looks more like a bad plating process. Never seen stainless to show surface corrosion. Did you try rubbing with steel wool to see if it just surface or deeper. If deeper you may have a problem
Told me to use WD-40 and steel wool.

I think someone swapped props on you. The discoloration line almost looks like an ear has had a welded repair. No way a 2021 SS prop looks like that.
Were would I go to find out if it's been repaired or defective?

Stainless will rust and tarnish if there has been any excessive heat, I think the new ProXS which I own a 225 4.6 liter V8, I have to be careful to keep lower end 4 cooling ports clear, heat has early on shown itself on the Mercury and the Fury forged areas. I had an electrolysis issue because the dealer wired my ultex backwards, everything has been fixed and or replaced such as the shaft and lower end on the ultex. They took the prop off and sent it for polishing, they got the heat discoloration issues out but I finished by hand polishing with a good metal polish, it now looks brand new. I was a metallurgist and independent contract welder, I have been exposed to a lot of heat treating, torch work using heat, etc. I agree with Tim, no SS prop should look like that.

Look up Prop shops (Specialize in custom propping and repair) for your area. Most will have some affiliation with a Motor manufacture or Marine repair shop.

This is not on mine! What make of prop is it? The company that made it should replace it!!
Figure it was a mercury marine prop that came with the boat.
This made me go out and look at mine! I am no prop expert but have had multiple boats and motors with stainless props and never seen this. It almost looks like heat discoloration rather than rust though, either way it does not look NORMAL. Good luck getting any satisfaction from factory reps, seems they just want to sell boats, not very interested in customer satisfaction.
Not yet was waiting to see feedback from Nitro form members.

Look up Prop shops (Specialize in custom propping and repair) for your area. Most will have some affiliation with a Motor manufacture or Marine repair shop.
Thanks
Stainless will rust and tarnish if there has been any excessive heat, I think the new ProXS which I own a 225 4.6 liter V8, I have to be careful to keep lower end 4 cooling ports clear, heat has early on shown itself on the Mercury and the Fury forged areas. I had an electrolysis issue because the dealer wired my ultex backwards, everything has been fixed and or replaced such as the shaft and lower end on the ultex. They took the prop off and sent it for polishing, they got the heat discoloration issues out but I finished by hand polishing with a good metal polish, it now looks brand new. I was a metallurgist and independent contract welder, I have been exposed to a lot of heat treating, torch work using heat, etc. I agree with Tim, no SS prop should look like that.
Thanks for the information. To bad Mercury Marine and the Tracker Service people seem to think this is OK.

Have about 24 hrs on my 2021 Mercury 150 4 stroke and just noticed the prop rusting inside the housing. Tracker service tech said this is normal. Mercury states the same. Anyone seen this before? Or am I being fed a line of B.S. Thanks for all the suggestions. Just something else to add to the list of damaged parts on this Nitro boat. Hole in dash, damaged bimini top frame. warped storage cover, stripped screw, missing set screw. Rusting trailer, missing manuals, loose radio, delaminating gel coat. rugs not flat to the hull floor, rod locker opening so low you have to lay down to put rods in and more. Thanks for all the information. Going to have someone other than dealer look at this prop. Just part of the condition of my boat . Tracker said they would make things right and have fixed some minor problems, but not the big expensive ones. I stated to them had I been told up front about all the damaged parts on the boat at least I new where I stood. Not telling the buyer this information does not play out well with future boat buyers. Truly It's Buyer's Be Ware out there. Sad sign of the times.
UPDATE: On rusting prop. Good news. Tracker marine told me yesterday that they will replace this prop. They found rust spots on both the inside and outside of this prop. Also stated they with get me a new dash and bimini top frame.

UPDATE: Looks like Tracker will ask Mercury for a replacement prop. Due to more rust and pitting. Hopefully will get new prop soon.

Update on the Update. The new prop that I was promised was a used prop. That was about a month ago. Still no new prop. Now have extensive rusting and corrosion on the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back