Staci - Got the package, oh and Senko hooks? What do I use??

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
I'll admin, at Walmart yesterday I succumbed to the sale prices on the Edge new "Speed fall" and Wave Worm "Tiki-Stick" to tyr as well. Of course that assume it stops RAINING.

Ok, I know this is somewhere else on this board, but what kind of hook do you use on these fake and real Senko's to rig weedless? All I have in my tackle box are standard off-set worm hooks, and live bait hooks - what do I need to buy??

EWG Gammies... 4/0 should work fine for the 5" tiki stiks/senko and edge worms... texposed rigging is how I usually do it.

you can use a 4/0 straight shank as well, no offset... that is the way alot of pros do it, including Gary himself... regular t-rig at that point.

Buy a raincoat, just kiddin.

Trep, go to this Website Link http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/senko-gary.shtml

and

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/senko.shtml

I use a 3/0 wide gap.

You know me, I'm not real particular about brand.

(Although I tend to buy Mustad when available because they are what the store I go to for fly tying stuff sells and I know that I have been well satisfied with their products.)

Trep,

Mustad Ultra Point Mega-bite hooks, 2/0 and 3/0. I use 3/0 for T-rigging.

I just ordered some Mega-Lite hooks, size 1, for wacky rigging. Taking advice from another NTOWS member.

Gamakatsu EWG Worm Hook, 3/0

If you want to cheap out, get any brand of offset EWG worm hook in 3/0 size for starters.

Use real Senkos first, then go from there. Set the hook when you feel the first tic!

Bob G.

Thanks guys, i'll hit wallyworld this afternoon. IF I get a chance (rain wise) to get out this weekend in the AM, i'm planning top water/jerkbaits till the sun is well up, then the Senko's on structure/timber. We'll see how mother nature cooperates!!

I don't mind fishing in the rain, but lately most of these storms are heavy winds and LIGHTNING!!!!

If Thor saw those skinny legs and knobby knees topped with coulotts.....

He'd think sure he had found the world's UGLIEST lightening rod!

Ken,

You know I like those Mege-Bites!!!! They hook up so good, I'm gonna start bending down the barb when I'm fun fishing!

Bob G.

Trep i use a 3/0 Gammy g lock hoook for both i find they work very well. I use them for both texas rig and wacky rug.

Now leave my Manly Legs and Short out of this! or Next time i'll get my camera out and knock on your door at 3 am to get a shot of you and that nightgown!!!! LOL

If memory serves me right, it was a pastel blue frilly little number, wasn't it?!?

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob G.

No......

It was a long one.....

Lavender.....

No frills.....

Cotton.....

Fit for the Queen Mum!!

I had my "thick" CR goggles on that night.....and it was blue!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob G.

BobG,

You had some serious CR glasses on....when she first walked in in that skimpy little teddy, you squinted your eyes and said..."WOW...when did she check in here?!?"

BWAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAA

rotflmmfjno

Neeley..... I turned Bob down the first two nights before he finally got the idea that I wasn't interested!

You're absolutely right....back to the topic at hand.

Trep, use hooks with a sharp pointy thingy on one end!!!

.....and another rally gone bad!!!!!!!!!!

New Rally Rule: If you don't have the right package for a nightie, keep it in your room!! HA!

Trep got all of the Senko/hook information he'll need for a day of NOT catching any fish earlier in the thread!! LOL!!

Bob G.

Bob's right....Trep should just throw the senko's in the water and go home and drink some home-brew!!!

......My wife wondered why I burned all of her blue nighties after coming home.....LOL

LOL @ Steve R.

I burned my retinas after that night!!!!

Bob G.

Geeze, I leave work and the PC early on Friday to take the family for Pizza and then a movie/martini's with the wife and look what happens!!!

Ok, so back to fishing - I see I need anywhere from 2/0 to 4/0? I think bob's "any brand of offset EWG worm hook in 3/0 size for starters." sounds like a starting point. But what is EWG???

Extra Wide Gap.

You'll like those Jimmy Edge Speed Falls. Identical to a Senko for $2.96 a 20 ct. (Wally World GA full retail.) When the word gets out, it's going to give Gary a run for his money. IMHO

Good Luck!!

Dan,

The Wally World in VT doesn't carry that brand of Senko imitators. I've never heard of them....but I do live in Vermont!!! I can get the real deal Senkos at Dick's Sporting Goods and one other local tackle shop, so that's what I use.

Bob G.

Thanks guys - loaded up on the Gamatzu 3/0 EWG hooks! Dan - Don't know why but our new Wallyworld on HW92 (opened 2 weeks ago) had both the 10 back AND the 20 back of the Speed Fall lures for $2.95 a pack, so you can GUESS which one's I bought!!!

Trep

Yesterday (Saturday) I only got in a few casts before the high winds and torential rains hit..... How long can a Stick-O hang on the hook in your car's rod rack and still be good?

Trep-

Just a suggestion. Give your (senko-type) bait a light tug through your fingers, below where you're putting the hook through, before rigging. This opens the plastic up around the salt crystals, absorbing applied scent better, and really gets that salt to work for you. Good luck!

me!-

If it's been in the water for 20 min. or more, I put on a fresh one. (When I resort to them, I'll rig a fresh one up from spot to spot until I find school. Then change when shredded.) Hanging up after a soak leaves a "useable" plastic bait, but most the salt will/will have dissolved and your hook will be shot.

LOL!! Dan, you alone must keep Yamamoto and Gamagatsu in business!

me!-

Nah, I use a hard bait most of the time. If I have to resort to such a slow approach, I just find a fresh bait tends to get more attention. (On those particular baits, I'm not sure if it's the heavy salt taste or the crunch of the crystals, or maybe both!) Keep in mind, as the salt dissipates, the bait reacts and smells/tastes different over a short period of time. In a tourney or for hire, time is the chief competitor. I'm fortunate to live on a lake that fishes a hard bait, "run and gun" pattern 150 or more out of 200+ (approx.) days a year. That's what I concentrate on most when at home.

BTW - When I do use a soft plastic stick bait, it's usually a Stik-O, ALWAYS on a Mustad Ultra Point Fine Wire 3/0 EWG. FWIW

Thanks everyone got my FIRST Senko-type fish yesterday!!!!

16 inch, 2lb Spot! Had tried top-waters/hard jerk baits for the first hour to no avail. Moved to an area with some flooded grass - zip! Moved down shoreline to a large fallen tree the tip out about 25ft into the water in about 8-10ft. Hooked up one of the speedfall's on the light action spinning gear. Let it fall wait, and retrieve. 3rd time before it hit bottom I saw the line slightly move and sweep hookset!! WOO HOO a nice Spot on light tackle and my FIRST Senko-type fish!! Didn't get anymore in the next 30 mins, then Beka and the boys met me at the lake for a day of beach, swimming and tubing!

Have a great week and thanks to everyone who helped me get this setup right!

Trep

Oh Staci - Bumped into Jim Lively at the ramp. He's now running a late model Skeeter.

Trep,

Congrats on your first "Senko-type bait" fish! And a decent one at that!!

Bob G.

Congrats, Trep!!

Jim Lively in a "Late Model" boat?????????

What is the world coming to...............

OK..... Tell me at least that the boat had a cracked hull when he bought it..... Or that he had tweaked the motor and hull to blow away Allisons..... Or both!

Latest posts

Back