Spring start up?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Ambrose

Reaction score
I was at my local BPS picking up supplies and noticed the service department had a spring start up listed on their services board. Does anyone know what's included in that and if it's needed to maintain your warranty?

Not needed to maintain your warranty. Do what the manual says yourself and you should be fine.

Thanks Sean. Usually I charge up the batteries, hook up the hose to the motor and let it run about 20 minutes and I'm good to go, but that was with my 30 four stroke. I wasn't sure if there was anything special that had to be done with the 150 optimax.

Ask them what that service entails and you will know whether or not you can do it yourself. I'm sure it's a checklist. Did you winterize your motor before calling it quits last year? Change the foot oil, fog the motor, add fuel stabilizer, repack trailer bearings, etc.?

As Toxic said, there is a list of important things to do for getting spring ready and or winterizing. You should be able to all yourself and save money for fun boating activities. Do a search for your question on this website. You'll see tons of good info here.

Thanks guys. As you can tell I'm not very mechanically inclined:unsure: however I do have BPS winterize my boat every year and then I'm usually good for the next season. With the bigger boat and motor I wasn't sure if there was anything different I needed to do in the spring.

It's really easy to do and you sure don't need to pay a mechanic for either service. I don't pack bearings though, I have that done when I get my trailer inspected every year (required in VA).

you mean some of you actually put your boats away for winter??? jeeze, I bought my latest boat in January and haven't missed a weekend fishing yet, wimps!!! LOL

Trep, I have to put the boat up for the winter. That ice does a real number on my prop!

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll call BPS and see what's included and if it's nothing special I'll take care of it myself. I'm very jealous of the Trepman, we are expecting 6 to 12 inches of snow here in Baltimore on Wednesday.

Chuck,

Here's my personal checklist every Spring:

Outboard Spring Maintenance List

1. Check/replace fuel filter inline under cowling

2. Pull and check spark plugs (note: hand tight +

17. Inspect and repack trailer bearings. :lol:

I would also say that everyone should be switched over to the ethanol resistant fuel lines by now but make sure.

1. Replace fuel filter inline under cowling

3. Drain and replace lower unit gear oil. (new washers)

I would recommend doing these before winter if you live somewhere cold. There might be water in lower unit and/or filter housing (Pro XS)

17a. Check oil level in oil filled hubs.

Latest posts

Back