Spring Fishing & Salmon Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C C

Reaction score
I have a couple of fishing questions today.....Does anyone fish rivers during the thaw? Here in Mass. the river I fish the most runs pretty fast during the thaw and there is a lot of debris all over the place. I am concerned about running over a big tree or log and damaging the prop. This year could be different since there was not very much snow fall. I have not been here long enough to know these things and am not all that familiar with river fishing so any advice would be appreciated.

Last but not least, salmon make it up to the part of the river I fish. After watching a few of the fishermen here troll for them I have decided that this year I would like to try and catch one. A little over 20 years ago when I was stationed in WA I caught plenty of salmon out in the ocean but have never tried to catch salmon in fresh water. For the life of me I can't remember what kind of lure or even if you use a steel leader or not. All I remember is to troll for them. Can someone please tell me what do & use to catch a salmon in fresh water? Thanks!

Cass :)

Wow, doesn't anyone have an answer to my fishing questions?

Cass :)

depending on the time of year for salmon,on lake ontario,now you would be long line trolling with stickbaits for brown trout,and downrigger trolling with spoons for browns,with possibly the occasional king salmon thrown in.summer months out deep in the lake,sometimes over 400 ft water,down 100+ ft for the kings,cut bait/slasher setups,howe fly/slasher,and the old reliable spoons and j plugs work.when they work in towards the river,in the fall,the cut bait/slasher rig works,along with the other mentioned above,as they get closer to the river,100-150 ft back with j plugs is the pattern,silver bullit j plugs,as with spoons work,as soon as they hit the river,forget it,thats when the river fisherman take over.

the pattern to use is find the bait,find the fish nearby.typically long lines,i run j plugs back 150 ft,they dive 7 ft,add to the downrigger,get you down to the fish.planer boards for spring browns is the ticket,along with 150-250 ft back off the boards.snap weights for the browns work good also.best thing to buy is the precision trolling guide.it will tell you how far back and how far down youre lure will dive.

any questions now?feel free to ask.

Latest posts

Back