Spinnerbait info

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G8rmac

Reaction score
Never used spinnerbaits very much, but I'm starting to try them more often. I'm getting hits and catching a few, but it seems like the big ones aren't staying hooked. I use a 1/0 trailer hook, should I try a larger size? Give 'em more time to take it, like with a top water?

It doesn't bother me too much when you have a small one throw it, but when you're fighting what feels like a small submarine and come up empty it kinda hurts!

I would look at the size and action of your rod. You need power to penetrate a big fishes mouth

Also the color of your baits may be a issue, if they are not taking it good

Use natuarl or lighter colors in clear water

U se dark or bright colors in dingy water

Also if they are short striking try triming your skirts level with your hook

Hi G8RMAC,

Its all personal pref. I use either white, white chartruse, white blue. I dont normally use a trailer hook because I throw them in some heavy cover. I agree with Todd make sure the rod you are using is the right one for the conditions you are fishing. If I am fishing open water/grass, I will use a trailer hook. I use a Med/Hvy 7ft with 14lb XT or floro. If I am in close to the bank I use a 6 1/2 ft same line.

Mark

I'm going to assume that since you say bigger ones that you've actually seen the fish to verify their largness. Unlike others, I do NOT use a trailer hook of any size and don't have your problem across the wide size band ... from tail tuggers on up. That said, 1/0 seems to be a bit small and I would think that you can get away with a larger trailer, certainly one the same size as the bait's main hook.

That said, here are some random thoughts to consider.

While bass are speedy fish with large mouths they are terribly inaccurate when it comes to attacking moving baits [a bluegill is more accurate]. The faster the bait the more inaccurate. With that inaccuracy is the fact that they may grab the bait but not have it in a position for you to get a good hookset. It is not automatic that a bass will immediately let go in that situation either. Remember, they don't know that there is danger at the other end of the line. Heck, they don't even know there is a line, etc. When they cme off it is usually because they've lost the ensuing tug-of-war with you.

Like fishing with a soft plastic, there are times when you don't need or want to have a strike/immediate hookset when fishing with a spinnerbait. Think of it as fishing with frog over slop; give the fish a little time to situate the bait before slamming the hookset. Don't be in a hurry to get the fish to the surface.

Be sure to sharpen your hook!!!!!

Most fishing lures have fine wire, very sharp hooks that set easily. Spinnerbaits have a very large, heavy gauge wire hook and if it is not very sharp you do not get a good hookset.

If you're fishing around open water or sparse weeds...use a treble hook for a trailer...you'll go from 1 hook to 4! And you can turn a single hook trailer upside down too...so the bait's hook is up...and the trailer is down....that helps!;)

Hi g8rmac,

I use spinnerbaits a lot. I always stone my hooks after every fish and after about 30 minutes of fishing. I just use a standard sharpening stone to touch up the main spinnerbait hook and the trailer hook.

A lot of spinnerbaits have dull hooks straight out of the package!

RoyC

Latest posts

Back