Spinnerbait containment?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
I seem to have collected somewhat of a collection of spinnerbaits this summer - now that I've had more success with them.....

What do all of you prefer to use to store them? The plastic boxes? Binders?

me?

Plano makes a box that looks like an old fashioned lunch box,..I.E about the same size as a shoe box,...it has 5-6 vertical racks that each hold @ 10 baits per rack. It's perfect for spinerbaits and buzzbaits. I prefer those racks over the binders because the binder/envelopes trap water and cause the baits to rust and turn funky. I have each rack in my box dedicated to a particular weight....1/8oz,..1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4...i also hav a few 1 and 2oz "Ledge Buster's" that Woo gave me, but I keep those seperate from the other's just because of their size!

I would deffinetely recommend the rack system over the pouch deals though.....have used both and had to eventually replace everything that was stored in a pouch due to rust and funk!..LOL

Mac

Mac -

Your favorite Ledge Busters: What colors? What blades?

me?

2 of each style and color........cover all the bases!!!

use natural colors in clear water and chart. in stained H2o.

I prefer the binders...and whether it's boxes or binders...I have a hole punch for the binder pages...two in the page and "voila" no moisture...Boxes...I drill... For sheer volume the binders hold more baits...same for worms and tubes..I keep crank baits and other "stuff" in boxes.

I really like the baits from SOB from the Bass Fishing Home Page...

Scott, something to remember about many of today's spinnerbaits is that the skirt is held on by only a rubberband that will eventually deteriorate and let the strands fall to the bottom of the box. I had all but 2 of 20 spinnerbaits to that to me this season. You tie flies, I can't remember the name of the thing that you put your thread in, but use that and thread that matches the skirt and "hard tie" those puppies on there and seal them. That way you also won't have to deal with the skirt falling down around the hook on hook sets or casts. I use baggy ties. I burn the paper or plastic off of them and use the wire. Then wrap the wire around the skirt 3-4 times, twist, cut off the excess finger pokers, bend down any remaining parts, and done!

I use the Plano box, but not the HUGE one Mac uses, for my Spinner and Buzz Baits. My only problem is the storage on my PC 175 is minimal so it's tough to get the box in/out when I need it.

plano has at least (2) spinnerbait boxes out. one is like a shoebox (most typical) & the other is like a typical 3700 series box. I use the 3700 series as it lies flat and about 2" tall. and has little ridges that come up in a couple of rows to hold the wires of the spinner baits. the box says it will hold 22 + it fits in my tackle bag.

Agree with Mac on the binders...just say no to funky SB's.

Have tried the Plano boxes JD's talking about but found all my SB's got extremely cluttered...not a good thing for a type-A, anal retentive, airborne infantryman.

I haven't seen the box Mac refers to (am going shopping today, though!!) I have six of a smaller design, each holds about a dozen SB's or BB's. Keeps them very organized, but a tad cumbersome. MUST find this new wonder of organization Mac speaks of!

BTW...Mac, what rod do you use to fish those Ledgebusters? I have a ton of those things (Woo insisted in his Structure Basics video) but can't find a good setup to throw them on. Have missed some good hook-ups using the wrong rod.

Here is a link and picture (if it works) of the Plano boxes, i've got the smaller one, works great easy to remove/replace them in the box.

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1502&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=11&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servle...rClassCode=11&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse
catalog.TextId

Adam,...I use a 7' Med/Hvy baitcast rod for those Ledgebusters....they are heavy baits and they need rods with heavy backbones!! (Same rods I Carolina Rig with!!)

Mac

I also use 14lb line too.....wouldn't hesitate to use 17lb!!

Can you believe it, Trep! Like they REALLY have to say "Tackle not included"!

i agree with ya adam. those spinner baits do get cluttered up a lot in the flat 3700 series spinnerbait container. the thing i like about it is the way it stores with my other boxes. i'm gonna have to check out mac's setup also as there is getting to be many types and sizes and weights and colors to contend with.

tight lines!

james d.

I know, it's like the picture of the new "insert you favorite overprices super sports car (i.e. Viper, Porsche 911 Turbo, Ford GT40...) where their is a picture of a very pretty model on the hood with the caption "supermodel not included"!! I can see pre-cover-your-tushie-lawsuit days where a guy walks into the local Porsche dealer and opens up his suitcase and says "here is my $100K in cash, along with a letter from the bank stating it's not stolen or drug money. I know what color/option I want in my 911 Turbo, but do you have a catalog of the women that go with it? I'd like a brunett to balance off my Blonde wife" BBBWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

James...

I'm lobbying hard for the binders with a few holes punched in the pages to let air circulate...Mine are setup that way and work well. The advantage over any of the boxes is sheer volume of the boxes versus the pages...and the ease of keeping them sorted...mine go from white/light colored to black/dark colored then the pages are sorted by weight and blade 1/4 oz & 3/8ths togetheter...etc.. colorado to tandem.... same system with each...they are very easy to find...and adding something "new" is easy just add a page or two in the right place in the order...

i used the binders for soft plastics and they work well. luv that bps double binder as it has little zippered compartments for hooks and weights. it seems every time i break a line a gotta get out binders and (2) 3700's just to put a hook, weight, worm, rattle, spike it dye, and smelly jelly on. guess i better get organized this fall cause now my glove box in the boat overrunith with all kinds of baits.

fishin - aint it fun!!!

james d.

Now THERE'S an idea!

Just pitty the theif who reaches into your car to steal your CD's, gets them home and discovers he's been "baited"!

Man, that's a GREAT idea! I've got a couple of CD cases that are going wasted. Now I know what to do with them! Mine don't have the plastic, they're lined with felt. My few spinnerbaits will rest in total comfort.

Thanks, GW!

hey Scott,

I had the plano shoe box which works great if I'm in MY boat ALL the time. This year I've been fishing alot in others boats and found that I tend to travel more with my gear. I purchased a tackle bag with the Plano 3700 cases. The shoe box just didn't transport well. When I found the Plano 3725 as James discribed it like striking gold. I'm not an avix spinnerbait user so I rarely own more than 6 or 8 at a time, so the 3725 is perfect.

Marke

Just a couple of months ago, I bought one of the BPS bags that holds the 3700's when I saw them on sale at the store near me - $29 if I remember correctly - so the 3725 idea was real interesting..... 'Cept I already got all the other boxes in use and don't have enough room to combine one and give it up!

And, Marke, you come down here to St. Louis sometime now that you're in the mid-west and I'll take you out for Missouri catfish or trout or whatever you feel up to!

scott,

get some of those 3701's as they are not as deep. you can get three of them to take the place of 2 standard height 3700's. that's what i did anyways.

Oh SCOTT..."call you BS"...That has to be a "10" on the list of backhanded cutdowns.... The folks here are too much...Just when you thought you had had your best laugh of the day...BINGO...Scott lets fly with a zinger... James...you have been dealt withg by a master... I bow to your skill... "maestro of the keyboard"..

Put my ledgebusters in a plastic sleeve and have them in my smaller worm carrier (smaller BPS one). Works great, two to a bag.

Most other standard ones hang in my Plano box, in the bottom. Has a 'rack' for them on the right hand side. Works great.

man, ya try to give folks a compliment and help them with their little spinner bait tackle boxes and this is what ya get in return? :)) i'm starting to feel more like rodney dangerfield - just can't get no respect! What do they put in those caffiene free diet dr. peppers anyways? LOL! note: bs is probably more fitting! please - no more modifications as i am loosing my self identity.

Scott - i'll capitalize the S in brainsucker just for you. ughh - maybe we could nickname you "LANYARD" since greg and i have taken on "meaningful" alias's.

That should be MOFish's alternate!

Several months ago, after Mac had so incorrectly referred to me as "Big Dog", I had thought that "Chihuahua" just might be appropriate!

Scott the Chihuahua, so is your voice mail going to say "Yo Quereo Nitro??"

Here Lee-zard, Lee-zard, Lee-zard!

Oh! I'm go-eeeng to need a beee-gar box!

Latest posts

Back