Spinner bait down deep

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Ok, I went thru some old posts but didn't exactly find the answer to my question.

I need some advice on fishing a spinner bait about 15 feet deep. How do you do it? Meaning, do you just cast off the side of the boat as far as you can, let it drop for about 15 seconds and then reel? What is the best type (blade and weight) to reach that depth? Is it better to use a spinning reel or a bait caster? Do you reel continous or do you pause? Trailer or no trailer?

I only fish spinners in shallow water but everyone seems to be having luck with them in depths about 12-15. I would like to try this weekend and needed some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Teri,

I have always used a heavier bait, with colorado blades. I use bait casting equipment and count it down. I always count past the depth I want and start experimenting with the rise in the bait. A colorado blade gives a nice "helicopter" drop in the pauses.

Rich D

Ledgebster spinnerbaits in 1 oz or higher get the job done pretty well. These baits ahve a willowleaf blade that doesn't rise as fast as the colorado blades do. Cast that baby out and let it sink. Start a slow retrieve and pause occasionaly to let the bait fall back down. When using the 1 ounce plus baits, casting gear is the only way to go. I like a braided line spooled to a Curado and a 7.5 foot flipping rod. A big spinnerbait slow rolled on the bottom will get some nice fish.

I'd agree with both posts. I fished last weekend on a fairly clear lake, and when I tied on my spinnerbait with the colorado blades, it really looked good helicoptering down. Once on/close to bottom, it stayed there very nicely with a moderate retrieve, and it gives good feedback.

The ledgebuster spinners work good for really deep water, but tend to be very large. Can be difficult to get used to, but work nicely.

Tex

Ledgbusters are the bomb,....they work great,....especially good when you downsize the willowleaf blades too..smaller blades will decrease the "lift" that bigger blades cause and you can crank them faster and keep them deeper...I always use a Baitcaster with those though...and 12lb line.

Good luck..

My favorite technique is to "burn" spinner baits. I have a natural tendancy to reel very quickly. I have a 1 oz ledge buster and still manage to keep that sucker only a foot or two under the water...LOL

What I have to do to slow and get deeper is to use my 3.8:1 gear ratio bait caster. So if you find that you don't have to disipline to slow down your retrieve you can always purchase a reel with a lower gear ratio.

You want to use 1/2 oz minimum weight and you also want a single COLORADO blade.

I use a trailer when I want it to stay up higher or usually when the water temps warm. Usually deep crankin' spinners and cold water I don't use them.

Teri..I do a ton of deep crankin or slow rollin' spinnerbaits in deep water for smallmouth and largemouth and about the time you think this ain't gettin' it...a 5 or 6 lb. smally practically ripps your arm off...woohoo!

TEE

Also I'm a bigger fan of the willowleaf blades except using single spin colorado's for drop baits and droppin' off ledges and let em' flutter down the sides and for night fishin'...

If youre in open water and you can get away with using a #4 treble hook for a trailer, do it!!!...If you're around lots of weeds and wood,..then use your standard trailer hook. You can also use a 5" grub or a split tail trailer for extra bouancy. If you really want to fish them deep..then go with a 3/4-1oz Spinnerbait with no soft plastic trailer or a 3" grub (with a single trailer hook) and the smaller willow leaf blades. They offer the least resistance and will allow the bait to go deeper. Colorado blades offer the most vibration,..but they also cause the bait to rise more than the willow's........you'll have to experiment a little to get the combo that works best for the depth you're trying to fish, and the cover in the area...weeds and wood will play havoc if you use a treble hook for a trailer,..but they're AWESOME in open water..they'll hook and hold a fish much better!!

I'll have to crack open the old tackle box and see what I have. Not sure I have alot of heavier spinners. Oh darn, an excuse to go to the sporting goods store.

Also try using a lipless rattling bait like a Rat-L-Trap or other baits along that line. I have been having some success with them in deep water lately. I will cast the bait beyond where I believe the bass are lying. Let it hit the bottom. Rip it upwards and let it fall straight back down to the bottom. Watch your line for a twitch on the fall. If there is a fish that struck and you didn't detect it on the fall, you will set the hook anyway because you're going to keep repeating this rip and fall motion all the way back to the boat anyway. The only problem I was having with this technique was that I was having a lot of bass come unglued. It seemed as though they were kind of short striking and only getting 1 or 2 of thr rear treble in the top lip.After a fair amount of thrashing around they were able to spit the bait. If you hook a fish deep, don't horse him. Take it slow and you'll have a better chance at boating him.

I know that was not what your question was about,but I was so excited about this technique that worked so well for me last weekend so I wanted to share it.

Anyway,good luck. Jim N

Thanks, Jim. Rat-L-Traps are one of my favorite baits. I just got back from Galyans (sports store) and I bought 4 rat-l-traps and some spinners. I went fishing tonight in a gravel pit and lost 4 rat-l-traps but my bass was worth it. Not very big but made my evening.

Not wanting to spam this group or anything, but our Secret Weapon baits are excellent for this. Our 5/8oz or 3/4oz bait with willowleaf blades work perfectly for this. Especially when you use undersized blades.

I've never tried the Ledgebusters, so I can't really tell you what is better. But, I've heard good things about them locally here in Tennessee. I rarely fish a spinnerbait that deep, and usually just use plastics.

http://www.secretweaponlures.com

I agree with the ledgebusters becoming very popular. I bought em' back when they didn't have them about 4 years ago but, still have Strike King as #1. My buddy and I ordered 10 Ledgebusters in various sizes from 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz. Teri..you'll have to try them but, you'll need just a little heavier rod and a good baitcaster that handle throwin' that kind of weight all day.

Somethin' else to consider...EXPERIENCE will be your best friend when it comes to different ways of fishin' spinnerbaits. You can take a lead core weight and pinch it on the shank of the hook on smaller baits to get em' deeper. Also a countdown method a very slow retrieve will do basically the same thing. Size of baitfish that the bass are feeding on is something to consider when it comes to blade size and style. There is a TON of combinatins of blades, sizes and colors that could drive a person crazy and I could go on and on about spinnerbaits...Practice casting with a good basic outfit and the rest will fall in place..we all know that your a good "fisherwoman"!

Also one little tid bit..I prefer pistol grip vs. trigger style handles for throwing 3/8 to 3/4 oz baits and trigger for heavier 1 oz. and heavier...just two cents from a novice.

TEE

One thing on the standard Rat-L-Traps...

REPLACE the hooks that come on them right away!!!

(the silver ones...) They Stink!!!

Could be why you're loosing some fish...

az

The orginal Rat-L-Trap used to come with one treble hook on the front that you tie on thru the body and then it had a small willow style blade on the back where the other treble hook is today. I believe they called it a Rat-L-Spin. I love those things and lost my last one last night. Anyone know where I can get these? I don't think they make them anymore.

Good point Andy(pun intended)! I'm gettin' ready to replace ALL my crankbait hooks with "Triple Grip" trebles...best goin'

TEE

Hi Teri - Those Ratl-Spins are really great. I couldn't find them anymore either so I just started making my own. Get some small blades (or whatever size you want), use a good ball-bearing swivel, remove the rear treble and attach it with a good split-ring. Works great for me since I too replace the treble hooks and put some good ones on. Best of luck.

Can't imagine a ledgebuster weighing in at 1.5 ounces. Sure would hate to get hit in the head with one of those. Hey! Maybe the water-fleas (jetskis) would get the idea if we hurled one of those puppies at them. LOL

Teri,

your best bet you be to modify some traps to makewhat you want. you can just remoe the back hook and replace it witl a sampo swivel and a colorado blade. All you need is the parts and a pais of splitring pliers. While your at it change off that front hook with a good quality hook as well, i like the mustad triple grip ones, they are very sharp.

I had some of those Rat-l-spins a long time ago and i dont think they have made them in years.

If you use the Ledgebuster's in any heavy wieght (3/4 on up)

Be sure to double check you knots every now and then... I heard about a guy who has launched several accross a local lake when the knot failed on the cast.... Those things will fly a mile... or so i've heard....

I'll agree with everyone else..... Ledgebusters!

I always use trailer hooks on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits - except the 1/8 oz spinnerbaits that are small enough that fish seldom short strike.

I became convinced to always use trailer hooks about a year ago when I went to Georgia to spend a weekend fishing with Rich and Trep..... Three or four times, Micheal had fish strike at his buzzbait. Each time, his hook set was perfectly timed. Each time, he came up empty handed. We could feel his pain. I am convinced a trailer hook would have caught the fish.

me!

I just found those Rat-L-Spins at anglersonline.com. I ordered about $50 worth. Ha! I am too lazy to make my own but that will come in handy when I run out.

I couldn't find Ledgebusters at my sports store. I saw they had them at Bass Pro. I will just have to use what I have for now.

I have launched a couple 3/4 to 1 oz spoons while pike fishing. They go forever. It never fails that your boat partner will see it and comment on the distance for that cast!

Rich D

Latest posts

Back