Spin Rod

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
I'm in the market for new light spin rod, 4 - 10lbs max, 6'6" to 7' Currently using a Shimano T- Curve and love a fast to really fast action.

Would love to hear other peoples suggestions and opinions, without going crazy on price and having a custom Loomis built, whats the reccomendation say up to about $250?

thanks

I just bought a Abu Garcia Verdict for my light spinning reel. The reel is a small Pglueger rated for about 8 lb max. I wouldnt use this rod for a casting rod but LOVE it for spinning. The handle will extend about 6" which i find comes in handy for top water vs using a worm. Other than that, ive always liked st. croix. You really cant go wrong with them, unless you slam then in a tailgate.....

St. Croix is all that i use anymore. I have an avid medium power with an X-fast action for shaky head, and a avid medium heavy power fast action for a utility spinning rod. Both have a shimano static reel 3000 on medium and 4000 on medium heavy.

Its a nice light weight combo very sensitive. The rods are about $180 and so is the reel. Its about $110 more than $250 for both, but i think you were saying $250 for rod only?

BTW if you get mad and break the rod over your knee all you have to do is send it to st. croix + 50 bucks and they send you a new one.

Jason, not true on the replacement. I was honest and told them that I broke my St Croix somehow in the rod locker and they wouldn't replace it. I will never buy a St Croix again becuase of that experience.

Wow I am shocked, because my tournament partner stepped on two of my casting rods. He paid the hundred dollars + shipping, and they sent me two new ones.

Cabelas will replace their rods for free if you break them. Not sure they're the same quality but great customer service. Not sure of Bass Pro cuz they're not in ND. That said, it's my favorite stop when I visit my daughter at college in Springfield, MO.:D

Cabelas and Bass Pro have a no return policy on most of the medium to high end rods I.E. St. Croix, G. Loomis, and a few others.

I have never had the experience ndbass had with St Croix. Its all i use too and over the last 20 years i have busted quite a few and St Croix has always replaced them. A friend of mine is a Loomis guy and same deal.

If your going to drop $250 on a rod take a look at the St Croix legend tournament. They cost ~250 and they are a really nice piece. I have the 6'3" med "spinnerbait" model casting rod and its awesome. The 6'10" ml x fast tip might be just what you are looking for.

Thanks Guys,

I have never owned a St Croix but all the feedback seems to point to me into parting with some bucks their way.

Appreciate it, I'll have a good look at them. Anyone now want to suggest the best reseller? Need to be able to online order.

cheers

Uh.....no one can or should recommend a rod without knowing what you are going to use it for. In today's rod world there are many different actions and price points but to just buy by the rod action (which varies greatly from one manufacturer to the other) can cause disappointment. For example, I have found CastAway rods have a "stiffer" action across the spectrum. Meaning I would use a different action rod for the same application. I have Senko rods that are the same action as my drop shot rods but due to the maker I wouldn't universally use them. I'm not trying to be a "rod snob" but there is a lot of factors that go into choosing the right rod and it can make a big difference. Give a little more info and you will be amazed at the suggestions you will get.:cool:

TOXIC

Thanks Toxic,

Appreciate the honesty and I agree, my Shimano T-Curve is what I like the feel of and the only rod I have felt similar here is a Loomis GLX.

Now to confuse the issue with info, I'm in Australia, happy to buy and ship from the US but you asked what I do. Mainly Australian Bass with small crankbaits that way no more than around 1/8, then soft plastics again with jig heads around 1/8. We fish with 4lb braid in both fresh and salt and are constantly casting to the bank, snags, weedbeds etc.

Plastics are worked very different here and hard to explain but the 2 common ways basically cast and sink then short upward twitches, worked back. Then there's just slowly wind and twitch mid water. Am I making any sense?

Our Bass in rivers breed in the salt and move to the fresh end to wait the season out so we basically fish both ends, depending on time and species.

I a fan of shorter butts and definately cork grips, reels are 2500 -3000 size in spin.

Hope this has helped and not confused everyone.

thanks again

Agree Tox...best thing to do is have it in your hand and make a determination based on what your going to use it for.

Sometimes I change my mind after feeling the balance and action.

I'm using rods for cranking that were designed for walleye;)

Good info Mark. The rod guru's will be along shortly to pick your post apart and tell you some good suggestions. And TEE is right, the most important factor is how it feels to YOU and if in your case it is a buy sight unseen or you can't hold it in your hands, you are at a disadvantage. By giving what you use now there are some comparisons that can be made. Rods are a very personal thing and vary from individual to individual. Heck, somebody I know on here who is a good stick still uses an Ugly Stick for froggin.;):lol:

TOXIC

Here's some prices here in Oz direct from a discounter here, gives you an idea of the price difference.

St. Croix

Legend Tournament

Price:

$489.00

St. Croix

Avid

Price:

$389.00

St. Croix

Premier

Price:

$299.00

Bionic Blade, BPS, under $100. The fish don't know. You can spend up to $250, but no law says you have to do so.

Marty hit it...I've been using Browning Rods for awhile and am totally satisfied and a helluva lot cheaper;)

BPS rods are made in the same factory, by the same people as Shimano....just a heads up :)

I use some BPS rods too, Bionic Blade is not bad for the money. Tourney Specials can be had on sale sometimes for $29, and not too bad either. My favorite rod is a Team Daiwa V, I don't think it is made any more, was a $50 rod with an absolutely great feel and sensitive. I will gladly spend a few hundered or so on a custom saltwater rod, but not on a freshwater rod.

Yep Mini ... just like kids when we did "one for me, one for you, one for me" ... somewhere an underpaid employee is saying "this one for BPS, this one for Cabela's, this one to be marked up and sold to some rube" .... :wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

Latest posts

Back