speedometer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Craft

Reaction score
Is there any way to adjust the speedometer? My shows 67 and GPS says 61. 2011 Z7. It is accurate up in the 30's then it starts to be fast.

Yup, and they are all like that, very optimistic. Even my motorcycle with the stock gearing is about 6% too high. Nothing you can do to correct it. ;)

Speedometers on boats are used for two purposes:

1) It's a great way to see what you can get stuck in the pitot tube, either engine mounted or transom mounted. When it stops working, you get to check the pitot opening to find out what clogged it, and then you can feel good about fixing something on your boat. :cool:

2) It's quality entertainment for your fishing partner. They get to see how really "fast" your boat is, although you know for a fact it's much slower than the speed being displayed. :lol:

Every once in a while, you get one that is fairly accurate. My current one has been close for the most part, and I have to say it's much more accurate than most I've had on other boats. Sometimes it takes a vacation and is a good 6 to 7 mph off of GPS speed, but for the most part, it's less than 2 mph off, which I thought was pretty impressive for a known problem gauge.

GPS speed is the way to go. Now if I could only figure out an accurate way to judge how much gas is in my boat (another gauge that is notorious for lying and causing headaches - although it is at least adjustable to a point.

All the best,

Glenn

Pete,

Years ago we played with a little plastic adjustable inline valve that you use on fish tank pumps. They cost about a buck each and have a small adjustable screw to reduce flow. Connect this inline anywhere on your speedo tube and next time you have the gps reading simply wind the little screw in until it matches your GPS speed. It simply reduces the air or water pressure to the guage and your done.

Interesting! The only problem is that you have to get a GPS to bother correcting the speedo to! Why bother? LOL....:blink:

Medallion used to make a high-speed pick-up that allowed very accurate measurement when used in conjunction with their gauges. Problem is they were not practical for bass-boaters, since the pitot assy costs about 65 bucks.....and they were brittle. The slightest tap and they broke off. Of course when you are doing over a hundred a stick can do that...:rolleyes:

I coverted mine to a water pressure gauge. It does mess with people though

BF

Latest posts

Back