spec'ing help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Mark

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying my 1st "new" boat this winter after I attend the local boat show this winter in Milw, Wi.

(Anyone know for sure when it is?)I'm almost decided on a Targa 17SC, but am looking for advice on some addition/options now that the 2005's have begun to roll out. I've looked into the Targa in great detail with a salesman at BPS in Gurnee & feel fairly comfortable with them as a dealership to deal with. I've got closer dealers to me, but 1 is brand new as a Tracker rep (about 2 months ago & advised me that any upgrades have to ordered from the factory...yeah, right!)& doesn't seem to know too must about them yet, & the other wouldn't even return an email or phone message (I waited about 4 weeks, tried several times before I wrote him off as a palce I wanted to spend my cash.

Anyways, the boat will be used for purely pleasure fishing, highly doubt any tourneys would be considered... here are my unknowns as of now that I'm looking for advice on from the knowledge base peeps here on this board.......

I had decided to go with a mtr upgrade to the 90hp-4 stroke, until I saw the 2005 upgrade price to the 115 Optimax. The Opti is a couple hundred cheaper then the 90-4 & a few pounds lighter, which would "you" prefer? (speed isn't a huge issue with me, but I do like to slow troll the Wisc river for walleyes occasionally)

I'm upgrading the TM to a Maxxum 65-24 volt, but considering I want to add another locator on the bow, would you go with the Maxxum 65US with the transducer mounted in the prop head or the standard Maxxum & use an addon transducer?

I have an Eagle 480 locator currently that I mounted on a bud's boat for now, should I have that one mounted on the helm & the X47 moved up to the bow, or should I buy something different for the "new toy"? I want to have the dealer mount it so it's all loomed in properly in case of warranty issues down the road.

What is the prefered 3 bank charger? I'd have the dealer install it right away. Would it be worth having a battery monitor gauge installed right away also?

Would a SS prop be advisable down the road? Or would it be riskier to the lower considering I may put it in a shallow river on occasion?

About how low in the water would anyone guess it may sit with a big guys in it, tackle, livewells/baitwells, 3 battereis, fuel, etc..? i.e. how shallow could this rig go?

I'm also thinking a hour meter on the Merc would be a good addon for scheduled maintainance control, good idea or waste of cash?

Does the trailer package come with a mounted spare tire? what would be an apprx cost of adding a 4th seat?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions of "you Gurus" before I buy, but I'll leave the list at that for now...

I've been reading this board for a couple of months now & know there are peeps here that have good ideas, & some that don't care for Trackers, please give honest thoughts. It will be a huge investment & would like to not ever think to myself..."wish I had gotten.........."

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, I had a 2000 Targa V17DC with a 60hp and because it's a heavier boat I would have liked more power on the rear to help it get up on a plane quicker. The boat is solid only problems I had was with one windshield screw coming up, seat posts getting stuck and the trolling motor jack nuts of which the dealer dealer fixed for me even as the second owner without question. I bought the Targa from a guy that took it out 2X and decided he didn't like it. The motor had 4 hours on it all of 2 months old I saved 7K on the purchase.

I sold it to a friend 2 years ago and he been using the Targa at least 3X a week May through October without any problems to date.

I think you are on the right track and need to find a dealer that you are happy with.

The spare tire did not come on mine, I added it. If you get the Opti you can get the Smartcraft guage that give you hours and a bunch of other details on the motor. If anything else I think a hour meter is a good investment. I bought a butt seat & post I think it was a little over $100.

On the Targa I added another fish finder and had the standard transducer mounted on the TM, works just fine. On my new boat I went with an autopilot with the universal transducer built into the TM, I love it. On the Targa I would go with a 24V setup and a 3 bank charger. I got a 3 bank Guest charger from Sue D last year (befor I had even decided on which boat to buy) and love it, I don't remember the model but you can ask Sue what is best for your setup.

You will be happy with that boat. Good Luck!

Cass

I would say go for the Opti. I hear its a great motor. I would if I could afford it, upgrade my 115 elpto to a 135 Opti on my NX750..

Also, a GUEST charger....no need for a monitor, the charger is 3 stage and has light indicators to tell you its state of charge. Wait till Greg Meyer chips in, or Magna, they run those deep v's. You can take Pat's suggestion on proping to the bank.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back