Spark Plug or bad fuel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Belt

Reaction score
This summer I decided to do my own maintenance on my Optimax 115 HP(4 years old). I replaced the spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter (all purchased at BassPro). Spark plug gaps were set according to the owner's manual. I also cleaned the points. I drained and lubed the lower unit.

Before starting I squeezed the fuel bulb and I could hear the gas going into the motor.

I saw no leaks.

Now the problem is starting it. It starts for about 15 seconds. Motor shakes, I get one pop noise and it dies. I tried starting it four times within 10 minute intervals. All with the same results.

Now a fuel question. I usually, fish through October and sometimes into November. I had a full tank for the winter when I stopped fishing. I didn't get to go as much as I wanted. I added STA-BIL to the fuel. The boat is stored in a heated garage at a constant 50 degrees all winter.

So does this sound like bad gas, spark plug problem or something else, perhaps too much air in the fuel line?

Any suggestions or is it now time for the novice to haul it in for repairs?

I was thinking the same thing...

Drain fuel, VST, purge with new fuel. You didn't mention if you actually ran the Sta-Bil through the motor.....or....did you just add it to the tank.

Anxiously awaiting response on the "points".....

One thing at a time....

Maybe points was not the right term. I cleaned the inside of the spark plug wires. The caps that attach to the spark plugs. There was a little gum inside them.

When I put the Sta-Bil in I ran the motor for five to ten minutes.

If you didn't run it for a SOLID 15 minutes, the treated fuel did not work it's way through into the motor. You have to remember that it must go through the pick-up, entire fuel line and primer bulb, through the VST, injector rail, injectors, and then back to the VST. The Opti's {irregardless of size} simply do not use enough fuel to allow the circulation to be complete, in less than 15 minutes.

Drain VST, purge with fresh fuel, and try running again. ;)

Latest posts

Back