Spammer: Shawn Kloth.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
The address this is coming from is: [email protected]

I don't know about any of you, but it would appear that this person may have harvested my e-mail address from someplace as well as some of yours. I've received 6 e-mails from him in the last 2 days. When I opened his first note titled "New Fishing Site", I may have exposed some of you through my address book..... Sorry.

DON'T OPEN HIS E-MAIL!

Here's his text so you don't have to bother.....

Thought you all would enjoy this.

On Screamingdrag.com we offer a wide selection of fishing related topics. On

our very popular "forum" our members post daily reports as well as share

some awesome tips to help you catch more and bigger fish. The Forum also has

a live chat room where we have club meetings as well as possibly seminars.

We also have a "Photo Gallery" where we have some of our members photos of

their catches. Soon we will be adding a "Tips & Tricks" section where we

will have thousands of different tips and tricks for anything that swims.

Our "Lakes" page offers a listing of area lakes and parks with general

information about them. Our "Saltwater" page offers all the California

saltwater landings addresses, phone#'s as well as their website address.

This site is without a doubt one of the most informative fishing site on the

world wide web. This club is open to anyone & anywhere! It doesn't matter if

you are a saltwater angler or a freshwater angler this is the place for you.

We hope to see you all on the boards very soon and Tight Lines to everyone!!

Me!,....as many times as you have posted your home address, email address, home and cell phone numbers and numerous other details of your private life on this website alone,...I'm really surprised you haven't been hammered with a lot more spam, and/or other types of BS of all kinds!!! (Maybe you have and just haven't said anything,...but do yourself a big favor and don't be so free with your info...why ASK for trouble?? We know how to get ahold of you if we need too,.....don't make it so easy for the ingrates! LOL)

Just an observation...and suggestion...;)

Carry on,

Mac

Heck, Mac, anybody can find out about anything that they want about any of us..... Just Google our names. If someone doesn't know my name, all they have to do is become a member here and click on the icon. They can get my e-mail address that way as well - we had an incident of that happening here last year.....

Or try this site that Carlos told us about over at G&B: http://zabasearch.com/

Heck..... I get the Seventh Day Adventists showing up at my front door a couple of Saturdays every month..... And they don't even use Google to find me! If I can survive that, I can certainly survive a bit of spam!

I just wanted to be sure that, if it was something that was bouncing through all our e-mails, no one else opened it. (I don't really know how those things work though.....)

Staci, this site is set up to protect your personal information from robots: Automated programs that survey the Internet day and night looking for email addresses, phone numbers, contact info, etc. This is how the Googles of the world assemble their very large search database. It's also how the less savory marketers build contact databases.

Because the robots don't create user accounts, they are denied access to member info. But when you put your contact info in a post, all bets are off. That information will get cataloged and indexed by search engines and marketers.

Don't read me wrong, Rich..... I'm not pointing the finger at this site.....

What I did say is that I got the first e-mail a couple of days ago; the subject line then read "New Fishing Site!!" The e-mails I was geting yesterday had subject lines that read "FW: New Fishing Site!!" and "RE: New Fishing Site!!"

So I would assume that there is some sort of bug attached to the e-mails that sends it out to others in the reader's address book. I don't think it's harmful - that wouldn't help the new site in the least - just a pain in the butt.

There are so many ways people can get personal information on all of us..... I'm not going to live my life in fear that someone may discover something and use that information to get something from me..... I haven't got anything they'd want anyway! :lol:

Please do keep us in mind Staci...Like me;) I do work for the guvment and getting some of this crap to stop can take a little effort.

Can someone get information on me if they were looking? Yes!

But, Give them none and remove my e-mail please. If you need to e-mail me...you can do it from here:D

Not to actually worry, TEE..... 1) You aren't in my address book. 2) No one scanned my book. I know this because none of my friends outside the fishing circles got an e-mail. From all the "re's" and "fw's" it looked to me like someone hand done something like that. I almost NEVER open a forwarded e-mail for that very reason - unless I'm expecting it.

The first entry in my address book is, name: aaaaaaaa (so it stays on top) address: [email protected]. I have read that that will stop address book miners because the program won't go past that one. I don't know if it works or not. I do know that since I got my new computer and switched from Me to XP that I have alot more security. I still get one e-newsletter from some cousultant in Alabama that thinks I'm some sort of manufactering company. I quit trying to tell them to take me off their mailing list. I keep intending to settup another e-mail name just for NTOWS and another just for sites that require an e-mail address.

BTW I still haven't recieved anything from Shawn Kloth.

Harpo

The e-mail address that is my "address of record" with AOL is not the one I use all the time..... It turns out that the original address seems to be the one that captures all the spam..... So I just go over there every once and a while, quickly look to see if there is anything I want..... There usually isn't..... And delete it all! :p

Interesting..... I just went back to the original message and took a look at the other e-mail addresses it wa sent to - about 35 of them. None are any that I recognize from this site. In fact, I didn't recognize any of them..... But, from the nature of the screen names and that several of them have a certain regional ISP..... I think I know who's book got copied! (Someone from another site.)

I know this is really going to get me in trouble.... but oddly enough, I haven't gotten one :). How's that for irony? :)

To show you how well it works anyway, anglerforums.com should disappear any day now. I haven't re-registered the domain name and it should fall from DNS any time now.

:):D:rolleyes::(;):eek::angry::lol::p:huh::wacko::unsure::cool::blink::blink::cool::unsure::wacko::huh::p:lol::angry::eek:;):(:rolleyes::D:)

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

:blink::cool::unsure::wacko::huh::p:lol::angry::eek::angry::angry::angry:;):(:rolleyes::D:):cool::blink::blink::blink::angry:;);););)

:D:D:D:p:lol::p:lol::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::wacko::wacko::wacko::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Did you guys notice that the post above was Edited???

Xmytruck just didn't like the looks of that one particular smilie in row 3 so he removed it.

Looks much better now!!!!

I thought it was the shocker for a minute. Too many fingers. LOL

Wolf

Latest posts

Back