sorry, Ice in boat again

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, but Dealer service looks good right now!

I dropped my boat off a little over a month ago for winterization and warranty work. Picked it up saturday and they told me everything was fixed. As my son and I waited in the parking lot for the boat, I spotted my boat out in the service yard. The tracker cover was sunk in in the middle. When the tech dropped the boat at my truck the was a HUGE piece of ice weighing down and streching out the cover. It must have weighed 100 lbs+!! After getting the glacier off the cover, I reached in to grab the keys from the ignition and noticed that the entire lower deck was covered in an inch or more of ice!!!

Before I call the dealer, I want to know if this has the potential to damage the deck. I did spend the rest of the day melting and drying out the boat.

What would you guys do?

BruceY

Did you say anything to them after you saw it at the dealer? Doesn't sound like they really cared about it if they brought it to you like that.

My only suggestion would be to get the boat into a warm garage or storage unit and start de-icing it. But as long as there is ice, there won't be any mildew. The only thing I would worry about would be the decks. Maybe Ken has an answer to this one besides using it for Mac's Coronas...

Barb

It ruined the carpet on mine last year. Plus, my bet is that your cover is pretty stretched. Be sure to call the mgr ASAP to document it, so that if there is a problem you can hold them accountable. I find, nobody cares for my boat the way I would. Common sense says they should have taken better care of it. If the cover is ruined, make them pay for it. It's time for dealers and repair shops to start holding their own. Good luck,

Just a note for the future...take your covers and put a hole with a grommet in the bow area and use a support pole to keep water from pooling.

Bruce,

Talk to the dealer, approach them in a nice, professional manner, and if they are reputable, they should take care of any concerns you may have.

I've got the TV18, as does Ken. The way the boat is designed, any water should have drained into the bilge. If you can dry out the carpet you shouldn't have a problem with the deck. I definitely would make a point about the stretched cover.

If you can't locate a heated garage, try this: I have a small electric, forced-air ceramic space heater with a blower fan that I can place on the deck or in the bilge, and with the cover on the boat that heater will dry out the carpet in no time. They run about $40, and I've had mine for almost 15 years.

Hope you can get a resolution to the cover! Oh, and do NOT try to pull the ice off of carpet. You'll just tear it up.

Latest posts

Back