Something you may want to check....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
Just pulled my trailer tires off my 2002 185 Trailstar lastnight to have them balanced(they are not from the factory). My buddy has a tire shop so we put the tire on the balancer and whoah..the first tire was out 2 3/4oz. and had one heck of an out-of-round spot. We spin it again and notice that those chrome mags are not perfect. I pulled the tire off the rim and turned it 90 degrees...fill it and put it back on the balancer. Low and behold..it's only 1/4oz. out and runs pretty true (no tire is perfect). We repeat the procedure on the other and the same thing happened.

Well I noticed about 6 months ago the tires were wearing on the inside...I find out I should be runnin' them at 50 PSI on a bias ply. So I'd recommend jacking your trailers up and spinning those tires to see how much out of round they are. If your not getting wear...your probably good to go.

TEE

Hey TEE...

I posted a tire problem on here last summer...

One of my 'original equipment' tires started to wear badly...when I did have it replaced, there was probably 8 or 10 ounces of water INSIDE the tire! Hmmmm

Thought that might have been the cause of the uneven wear, but 'the tire guy' said it would not have caused it...Then I asked him how that much water gets inside a pressurized tire---DUH! It leaks in when you back the trailer in the lake! I stopped buying tires there...lol

az

Andy,

I believe it's from the compressed air. There is always going to be moisture in the air when it is pumped into the tire. This can cause damage.

On a side note I had a trailer tire that had a small leak that never showed itself until I took a long road trip up to the St. Lawrence River for a fishing trip. By the time we pulled into the motel parking lot and got out we could hear a tire hissing (what perfect timing!) My buddies and I pulled the tire off the rim to patch it and the inside of the hub was badly corroded(non galvanized). We patched the tire but I was not comfortable driving back on that tire. So I picked up a new rim and tire at a local Sears and used the old one as an extra spare.

It had to be either moisture from the compresses air or a very small leak. I do not believe the tire would have lasted from S. Jersey to upstate NY if it had a slow leak.

damuniz

Sorry, everyone else has been TX bashing lately, I figured I'd ask :)

Latest posts

Back