Soft Plastics - Shelf life??

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - With this upcoming move, looking to get all my stuff organized. Know i'll give my batteries away and get new ones when I get back, will respool all my rods with new line next year, but what about my soft plastics? Do I just donate them to the Dan Nevill BlueFrog or if I double Zip lock bag them and store them on a shelf will they be good when I get back??

I've found it matters what the company is, and what scent is on them. Old Berkely Powerbait, even though I find they "stink better" to me, don't seem to catch fish like fresh Berkely Powerbait. Unscented plastic, or stuff that is just salted, doesn't seem to mind a long shelf life at all.

All the best,

Glenn

Store em' in a cool place and make sure the seal on the bags are good...I've got 100 packs of Powerworms for years with no problems and still catch as many fish.

What Tee said.... If you put them in a large tupperware container, be careful when you go to open that up... the scent will knock you back! (no matter how many zips you've put them in inside)

If you've got any Gulp baits, you probably ought to either use them or give them away. They probably will dry up if the package has been opened. All the other stuff should be okay as long as they are sealed up in the original package and not stored in a hot garage.

Harpo

P.S. I just thought of something to add. I fished with some Senko's this past weekend that were at least 5 years old, had been stored in my boat locker (in original bag) both winter and summer and they fished just fine.

Trep - Everything said above but would also put them in a cool and dark location. Worse case is you'll have to throw some away when you get back.

I have some Culprit jerk baits that I use that are pushing 10 yrs old and are just fine. Since they are discontinued I really ration them out to myself. I think the Gulp stuff doesn't fall into this category.

Hey Berry...I have some of those Culprits too and they outfish the Flukes!

Better action!

They need room to breathe. ;) Spread them out evenly on your kitchen counters so they won't stick to each other. ;) This will serve to also scare off intruders while you are gone.;)

Ed - Yea, like my wife will go for that!!! LOL Of course if I DID and it ate through the formica counter tops she'd have the excuse she has for remodeling the Kitchen!!! LOL

OK got it guys, gallon freezer bags inside tupper wear, on the shelves in the dark airconditioned basement the will go!!

Trep

Put a couple in your pockets also. It will feak the hell out of the airport security people when they pull them out of your pockets.:lol::lol::lol:

Hey Ed - My oldest had a better idea, he realy didn't want to leave his pet Emperior Scorpion home, so asked if he could put HIM in his carryon!!! Imagine THAT going to TSA xray!!! LOL

That would raise hell. Last time I flew home from Tampa I got pulled for the random search. While they were doing the frisking of me the lady stuck her hands into my carry on with out opening it up all the way or my knowing she was going to. She let out a yell and pulled her hand out. It was stuck firmly in one of those alligator heads mouth they sell down there. Tore the heck out of her rubber gloves. She glared at me and I said "you should have asked before you stuck your hand in my case".

Latest posts

Back