Slow cranking...with SPRO Little John

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
For a very long time, I've been a "spinnerbait / crankbait" kind of fisherman. A few years ago, Gary Yamamoto came out with that dang blasted %$*&^($! Senko, and changed my fishing style for years. I've got a love/hate relationship with the Senko and Culprits version - the Stinger. It's a fish catching son of a gun... but I have a hard time putting it down because it's just so fun to fish. I (mistakenly sometimes) fish it to a fault - throwing it when something else might work better. Last year though, I decided to go back to my stregths and fish spinnerbaits and crankbaits, and always have a Senko / Stinger on deck for a backup, or for particular areas....

... this weekend, however, it never came out of the rod locker. I was on a mission - fish the new SPRO Little John crankbait. I immediatly liked how easy it is to throw this lure - even throwing it directly into the wind, it casts like a bullet. I don't recall any shallow diving plastic lure that casts as easily as this one. I immediatly liked that feature - the long castability.

I started reeling it just as I normally do, and it has a great wobble. Not too narrow, not too wide - just kind of a medium "fill the gap" type of wobble. I immediatly liked it. I was throwing the Citrus Shad color in water that was relatively clear for the first foot or so, so I was able to see the wobble start - very sexy looking. If I were a bass, I'd eat it! :p

The water was 51 degrees on the surface, and the wind was howling pretty good, so we tried to tuck in behind tree lines that blocked the surface wind. My partner was throwing a shallow crankbait also - but he was dragging up grass in the 4-5 foot deep water. I could feel the Little John barely ticking the top of the grass as I fished it on 8lb test line - "good feel" I thought. I was impressed with the "feel" that the lure gave me. I could easily tell when I was barely touching grass, and when it caught, I could stop dead, wait a second and then continue, without it getting hung up.

... but the fish weren't biting - for anyone. We passed several people and spoke to them, but nobody was picking up fish.

So I decided to just play around with the Little John. I burned it back to the boat - it tracked straight and true. Nice. Very nice. Then I slowed it down - nice wobble, nice feel. I normally don't crank really slow - it's just not me. I like to cast, retrieve, hit something, stop it for a second, continue, repeat. But this crankbait just begged to be slow rolled back to the boat, so I happily obliged... and was rewarded with my first fish of the day - a nice little bass that weighed about a pound and a half, but hit it like a freight train. I was very happy, as I thought I was onto something, so I continued my main river slow cranking. Unfortunatly, that was the end of that bite. Happily though, I had a fish in the livewell, so I had my "limit" (fishing a open tournament - 1 fish limit - big fish only). :lol:

For some reason unknown to me, I had this overwhelming urge to go into a little small creek. I did so and was rewarded with 52 degree, 8 foot deep, slightly clearer water. "JERKBAIT!" my brain screamed. :lol: So I tied on a suspending Lucky Craft Pointer and began casting. Instead of jerking it, I applied small twitches to impart very small movements. Rewarded! Again, and again, and again. Missed a few that swung at it close to the boat, but boated more.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I was moving my lures SO slowly - both the crankbaits and jerkbaits, that I dang near wore myself out - physically as well as mentally. I had to concentrate to move my lure that slow. But it was rewarding.

We didn't catch anything big - my largest for the day weighed in at 1lb, 12oz, but we had a blast catching fish and testing new lures.

I am very impressed with the quality and construction of the SPRO Little John, and look

Great post Glenn,

I may have to try one of those little Jons. I am partial to the Yozuri Cranks myself. I did just buy 2 of the new Rapala XRAP Shads, I cant wait to try those out. They look great.

Mark

Glenn, If you like cranking you have to try the Salmo Hornet and Sting they are deadly in both the suspending and floating models. Take a look at the site and check them out. They have a great product line but the hornet is the best.

The Dragon

www.salmofishing.com

I like the way that Sting looks - especially the "Bleak" color, as well as the Grey Silver. I was about to jump all over it, but the sizes don't seem quite normal. I was thinking of the #9 suspending model, as it is only 3 1/2" long, but it has #4 hooks on it, which is kind of large on a small jerk bait. I noticed the 4 1/2" long #12 suspending model has #2 hooks on it. Thats HUGE on a jerkbait! Heck, I put #2's on Zara Spooks! So, I gotta know - what size do you recommend, as I'm going to order one or two to try out?

Looks like I'll get a H5F or H6F in the Hornet to try out - maybe one of each. I wish that "coming soon" "Real Crappie" finish was already available, as I'd order that one. I guess for now I'll get the Real Sunfish and Green Crawdad colors to try out.

Thanks for the suggestion and link. I'll definitely give them a shot.

All the best,

Glenn

No problem Tox. I have a really good feeling that I'll have plenty more to report this tournament season. It's one of those lures that you put it on, cast it out for the first time and watch it while thinking "ooooo.... nice...." :p

I was having a hard time finding them, so I started taking up people on offers to get some for me. Little did I know that just about everyone would come through! I've got 6 coming from Beck - two Spring Craw, two Spooky Shad, and two PB&J. I asked the local Bass Pro Shops to order some in for me, and low and behold - they come through - two Firetigers. Then, at the landing at Northwest River the other day (Bobs fishing hole), the store owner there had them on the shelf, although not in the colors I wanted - but I picked up a Citrus Shad to try out. So... I have 5 of the colors in their lineup right now - looking really seriously at picking up a few Cell Mate also. I'm so hooked on quality crankbaits! It's a sickness, I know... but I can't help myself! :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

i ordered mine yesterday, the shad looking color and the color you were throwing at the hot side.

mike c

Mine are due from Cabela's today via UPS. Hope to try them out this weekend (or sooner). I will post a report (although not as detailed as Glenn's - LOL) Just if they caught fish, particularly since I am not a crankbait person - did someone say SENKO??????

You guys that are not using cranks are missin' a boat load of fish.

I have $4!+ load and use them all at any one particular time of the year but, that's what I mean...I usually always have one rod with crank and one with a spinner tied on year round no matter the weather.:cool:

Tee - I ALWAYS have one tied on and generally will throw it for 10-15 minutes but my results have been minimal so I go back to my Senkos. What's your secret.

Stayin' with it and figuring out what depth they are holding...

Are you experimenting with different models and colors when one won't work?

I have to admit that my confidence was not strong at first throwin' them until I seen some of my buds throwin' their 5 pound smallies in my face...I changed and so did my confidence.

Just like a spinnerbait...some guys say they couldn't catch a thing on them (confidence again) but, you won't find me without one.

Took a little while to find out what color, when and where but, that just comes with time like anything else.

I have 3 boxes of crankbaits that always stay in my boat - labeled "Shad", "Chartreuse", and "Crawfish". The lures inside may be variations of the particular color label, but they all basically fit within these three groups for me.

There are no "end all be all" formulas for figuring out which color works best in what water, but generally I throw Shad in clear, Crawfish in stained, and Chartruese in dirty.

As I said though - there are no clear rules, as I have caught fish on Shad colored baits in dirty water, and had them slamming chartreuse colored lures in gin clear - sometimes the bass just don't follow my rules! :lol:

Crankbaits are fantastic "search" baits. I will throw one until the paint is worn on the sides from the hooks swinging back and forth. I may only pick up three fish from a particular bank, but generally those three fish will come quicker for me than they would have if I were dunking a worm.

Let the bass tell you what color they want. If I catch a fish that slammed it and he has both hooks in his mouth, I'm not changing colors. If I'm getting fish that swipe at it and miss, or catch one that only has the rear treble in his mouth, then I'm going to switch retrieve speeds first - slower or faster depending on water temp. If that doesn't work, I'll switch to a variation of the current color I'm throwing - if it's a chartruese lure with a blue back, then I'll switch to chartruese with a brown back, or green back, etc.. until the fish are slamming it better and hopefully getting both hooks in their mouths. If the fish aren't biting it at all, and I know they should be hitting crankbaits, I'll switch color boxes to a totally different shade - but I'll go in stages. Generally, that means that if I'm fishing Shad pattern lures, I'll switch to a crawfish color next, before jumping to a chartruese pattern.

Slow, methodical changes are the key to fishing crankbaits when the fish aren't biting them, or don't "really want" that particular lure (the rear hook "only" catches are a good sign of this - not all the time, but it's generally a good indicator).

And then if there is wind... the spinnerbait gets thrown. :p:lol:

Spinnerbaits and Crankbaits - gotta love 'em. They are fish catching machines that you can cover water with very quickly.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back