Side Grab Rail Removal

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 92 Nitro 2000 DC and am trying to remove the two chrome grab rails on each side of the boat. Each end of the rail and the middle is held down by several screws however they all spin when I try to remove them. This seems strange that every single screw is stripped? The rail isn't loose at all though. Is there a nut or something on the inside that I'm missing? I've tried to stick a flathead screwdriver underneath the screw to pull it up still can't get those suckers out. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 0
Man that does present a problem!
Can you get one of the bases up enough to get a Sawzall blade under it and cut the screws off?

If you are not going to reuse them maybe cut as much of the bases off without marring the fiber glass. Remove the bars. Then very carefully cut the bases enough to break them away from the screen heads. Then cut the screws with a set of klines or a small bolt cutter.

I tend do things backassward but if it were mine that is probably what I would try based on your description and the pictures.
Sucks when simple stuff won't go in your favor!

Good luck.

Tight Lines

If you want to cut them, the maybe tape some sheet metal onto the fiberglass and lay the sawzall blade on the sheet metal to keep from marring the fiberglass. Maybe even put some cardboard beneath the sheet metal.
I have a hunch there might be a nut underneath that is installed when the top was off.

Remember they are stainless screws, you'll want to be careful not to glaze them (get them too hot) then you might have more problems.

I think I'm going to leave them for now.... had the same problem removing the trolling motor screws, they were held in by motorguide rubber inserts that kept spinning...

I think I'm going to leave them for now.... had the same problem removing the trolling motor screws, they were held in by motorguide rubber inserts that kept spinning...

I had the same issue with my TM. I got the screws lose enough to cut the bolts off with a Sawzall. Luckily I did not have any gelcoat damage. 😓